Writers at Mythcon

  • ftl_publications
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 16, 2013
      --- Original Message ---
      From: Linda DeMars <linda@...>

      > Is Jef Murray coming? He has a really good book - at least I thought it
      > was. Also, Joan Marie Verba - she wrote a good book. I I read it on Kindle
      > and bought the hard copy for my two fourteen year old grandchildren.

      Alas, I won't be able to get to Mythcon this year. (Thanks for the compliment on
      Sword of Queens!)

      Joan
    • R.J. Anderson
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 17, 2013
        Thanks for the mention, Leslie.

        To clarify a bit, I've published a trilogy of middle grade fantasy novels (KNIFE aka SPELL HUNTER, REBEL aka WAYFARER, and ARROW) and a duology of teen SF novels (ULTRAVIOLET and QUICKSILVER).

        I count Lewis, Tolkien and MacDonald among my earliest influences, as well as E. Nesbit, Patricia McKillip, Ursula LeGuin and others frequently mentioned in a mythopoeic context. All my books deal with the numinous in the modern world, with a preference for rural or suburban settings rather than urban.

        If anyone would like to find out more about the books or read some of my essays on fantasy and SF, my website is at http://www.rj-anderson.com/ .

        Of particular interest to list members may be my essay on the Problem of Susan (http://rj-anderson.livejournal.com/176635.html), where I finally lost patience with the people who insist that Susan was "denied heaven" for liking lipstick; and my interview with Mike Duran (http://mikeduran.com/2012/02/interview-w-ya-fantasist-r-j-anderson/) about the spiritual value of fantasy literature.

        I apologize for not having properly introduced myself to the list before! I look forward to meeting many of you at Mythcon.

        Urendi Maleldil,
        --
        Rebecca
        (R.J. Anderson)

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 17, 2013
            Jim's a professional friend of mine (he recently wrote an essay for the publisher I contract for) and I think he's an awesome guy, even though I've never met him in person. His newest that Berni mentions, Libriomancer, features a fantasy-loving librarian as a main character (who, yes, can do magic stuff, but the character could otherwise easily be a member of my friend circle).

            Yet another reason I wish I'd be making it to Mythcon this year. Alas!

            -Alana

            On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Berni Phillips <bernip@...> wrote:

            Linda, I’ve never met the man.  I’ve just read some of his books and his non-fiction/fannish writing.

            He seems like a great guy.  He’s the guy who had himself photographed in the ridiculous poses that are typically seen on covers with women, pointing out how non-ergonomic, painful, and ridiculous they truly are.  He writes on Live Journal under his name.  He’s got a wife and kids and seems firmly grounded in the real world and is passionate about making it better.

            Berni

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 18, 2013
              Linda --

              Might the story you remember be "The Queen's Return" by honorh? If so, it's here: http://honorh.livejournal.com/226358.html

              I don't normally read Narnia fanfic because it hurts too much when people get it wrong (and they usually do, sometimes nauseatingly so) but that one came recommended to me, and I was glad I gave it a chance.
              --
              Rebecca
            • Linda DeMars
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 18, 2013
                Thank you, Rebecca, so very much.  That was the very story I was thinking of - I will not lose it again.  That sounds much more likely Susan going to Hell for liking "lipstick and nylons"-- and does anyone remember that Lewis did not say that, Jill did.  It is amazing how often those who should know better wil insist that words and ideas put into a character's head or mouth are actually the beliefs of the author.  I remember showing a poem I had written to someone and having them say, "If you feel that way, you should go and see a therapist, " and I tried to explain that the words were not mine,  the person, in the poem, was speaking them or thinking them.

                Thank you so much again. I am so happy to see this story.

                Linda

                On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM, R.J. Anderson <rjawriter@...> wrote:

                Linda --

                Might the story you remember be "The Queen's Return" by honorh? If so, it's here: http://honorh.livejournal.com/226358.html

                I don't normally read Narnia fanfic because it hurts too much when people get it wrong (and they usually do, sometimes nauseatingly so) but that one came recommended to me, and I was glad I gave it a chance.
                --
                Rebecca

              • John Rateliff

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 18, 2013
                    Linda DeMars wrote:

                    >That sounds much more likely Susan going
                    >to Hell for liking "lipstick and nylons"
                    >-- and does anyone remember that Lewis
                    >did not say that, Jill did.

                    Jill didn't say it either. Here's what Jill said:

                    "Oh Susan! she's interested in nothing now-a-days except nylons and lipstick and invitations. She always was a jolly sight too keen on being grown-up."

                    Do you see one word there about "going to Hell"?

                    Nor is really about lipstick and nylons in themselves. Susan is being accused of trivializing herself with trying to be "grown-up" (the opposite of _really_ growing up, as Polly immediately explains) and has thereby, as Peter and Eustace have previously stated, lost Narnia.

                    Susan's tragedy is that she's lost Narnia. She's not going to Hell thereby. Narnia is not Heaven. The lack of it is not Hell. And Susan may still have a chance to redeem herself.

                    >It is amazing how often those who should
                    >know better wil insist that words and
                    >ideas put into a character's head or mouth
                    >are actually the beliefs of the author.

                    Yes, it is. And it's also regrettable when the words and ideas of a character actually are those of the author, but readers willfully misread them. Lewis once compared readers to sheep: they'll always go through the wrong gate if you let them.
                  • Mem Morman
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 18, 2013
                      I think, David, that the "going to hell" bit comes when Susan doesn't get to come "farther up and farther in" as the other characters do in the Last Battle.  If not "going to hell" then what is your interpretation?
                      Mem

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 18, 2013
                        Oops, sorry. My mind moved ahead of the pen. I,  in no way, meant or ever even thought that Jill was thinking Susan was going to Hell. I just was think about Jill speaking  with scorn about the lipstick and the nylons and was reminded of many pre-adolescent girls who have not quite gotten to the teen stage when dressing up can be very important and are prone to say things like  "she just is trying to get boys to look at her, ugh."   I was also thinking that those who lightly say Lewis was condemning Susan or anyone else certainly did not know Lewis very well or his work. The idea of condemning a person to Hell for a frivolous act of vanity would never have been in Lewis's mind - the idea and fact of Hell was a very serious matter to Lewis,  and he would have never presumed to say that was someone's destination. He left this to God.

                        On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 6:12 PM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:

                        Linda DeMars wrote:

                        >That sounds much more likely Susan going
                        >to Hell for liking "lipstick and nylons"
                        >-- and does anyone remember that Lewis
                        >did not say that, Jill did.

                        Jill didn't say it either. Here's what Jill said:

                        "Oh Susan! she's interested in nothing now-a-days except nylons and lipstick and invitations. She always was a jolly sight too keen on being grown-up."

                        Do you see one word there about "going to Hell"?

                        Nor is really about lipstick and nylons in themselves. Susan is being accused of trivializing herself with trying to be "grown-up" (the opposite of _really_ growing up, as Polly immediately explains) and has thereby, as Peter and Eustace have previously stated, lost Narnia.

                        Susan's tragedy is that she's lost Narnia. She's not going to Hell thereby. Narnia is not Heaven. The lack of it is not Hell. And Susan may still have a chance to redeem herself.

                        >It is amazing how often those who should
                        >know better wil insist that words and
                        >ideas put into a character's head or mouth
                        >are actually the beliefs of the author.

                        Yes, it is. And it's also regrettable when the words and ideas of a character actually are those of the author, but readers willfully misread them. Lewis once compared readers to sheep: they'll always go through the wrong gate if you let them.

                      • Grace Monk
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 18, 2013
                          She isn't dead at the end of The Last Battle. That alone should show at hasn't gone to hell. There isn't a guarantee either way, true, but she isn't one of the ones in the train wreck, so her ending is not yet set.

                          And vanity is a serious and very destructive state of being or sin or what have you. It can be deadly even. And the willful ejection of divine revelation is a pretty serious failure of love and a symbol of pride run horribly amuck. Susan's problems aren't small, although the signs of them seem to be rather trivialized by many readers...

                          Grace Monk

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 18, 2013
                            I can't type tonight, it seems!

                            Ejection should read rejection. I shouldn't type on an iPad when I'm tired. Please forgive my tangled fingers...

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 18, 2013
                              I left out "than" - trying to say the story of The Queen's Return seemed much more likely (or maybe comforting) THAN going to Hell to liking lipstick and nylons---and I meant  Jill was the one who said the lips, nylons and invitations bit, not that Susan was condemned to Hell for that. As I said,  Jill's comment did remind me of a preteen girl.

                              I do agree with Grace that vanity and pride are not minor sins.

                              Linda

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 18, 2013
                                Mem Morman wrote:

                                >I think, David, that the "going to hell"
                                >bit comes when Susan doesn't get to come "farther up and farther
                                >in" as the other characters do in the Last Battle. If not "going
                                >to hell" then what is your interpretation?

                                "Further up and further in" may mean going to Heaven - I think it's not actually quite that clear; it's more achieving a new stage of wondrous appreciation of Christian truth. But if it is going to Heaven, then not going "further up and further in" means not going to Heaven. It doesn't mean going to Hell. Remember that, unlike the others, Susan isn't dead, so she's not going anywhere at the moment.

                                And my original point was that, regardless of any of this, Jill didn't say anything about it. At the time, neither Jill nor any of the others knows that their re-summoning to Narnia is because they're dead.
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 18, 2013
                                  Grace Monk wrote:

                                  >And vanity is a serious and very destructive
                                  >state of being or sin or what have you. It can
                                  >be deadly even. And the willful ejection of
                                  >divine revelation is a pretty serious failure
                                  >of love and a symbol of pride run horribly
                                  >amuck. Susan's problems aren't small,
                                  >although the signs of them seem to be rather
                                  >trivialized by many readers...

                                  I wrote that "Susan has trivialized herself," and I hope you don't think I was thereby trivializing her problems. I meant that her problems took the form of her elevating the trivial and ignoring the important in her life.

                                  Her sins at this point are small, but you are correct that her potential problems are great. As Screwtape says, in luring the human soul to the devil's lair, "Murder is no better than cards if cards will do the trick." Susan's vanity, if not subsequently cured, will do that trick, and that is a fundamental belief of Lewis's that those who wish to excuse her follies ignore, since it's not a position that has much place in a worldview without a devil in it.
                                • Kelly Brown
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 20, 2013
                                    Agreed. Besides, she's a teenager. She's lost perspective, as many teenagers do. For  most kids the  "lipstick an nylons" thing is just a phase, but I do understand what you're saying.