Re: Tolkien and politics (Wagner)

  • Margaret L. Carter
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
      <The Nazis also liked Wagner's Ring.  What characters would they have identified
      with in _that_?>

      C. S. Lewis remarks somewhere that the Nazis radically misread Wagner's Ring cycle -- admiring it for all the wrong reasons.

      Margaret Carter
    • Tony Zbaraschuk
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
        On Sun, June 16, 2013 12:20 pm, Margaret L. Carter wrote:

        > <The Nazis also liked Wagner's Ring. What characters would they have
        > identified with in _that_?>
        >
        > C. S. Lewis remarks somewhere that the Nazis radically misread Wagner's
        > Ring cycle -- admiring it for all the wrong reasons.

        As I recall, they tried to argue that Hagen (the murderer of Siegfrid) was
        the real hero of Götterdämmerung...

        Tony Z

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013

          Well, he does get literally the last word ...
        • wendell_wagner

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 18, 2013
              Here is (to my knowledge) Tolkien's clearest (and most entertaining!) response to the Nazi misappropriation and perversion of the 'Nordic' spirit and myth in their quest for world domination:

              45 To Michael Tolkien

              I have spent most of my life, since I was your age, studying Germanic matters (in the general sense that includes England and Scandinavia). There is a great deal more force (and truth) than ignorant people imagine in the ‘Germanic’ ideal. I was much attracted by it as an undergraduate (when Hitler was, I suppose, dabbling in paint, and had not heard of it), in reaction against the ‘Classics’. You have to understand the good in things, to detect the real evil. But no one ever calls on me to ‘broadcast’, or do a postscript! Yet I suppose I know better than most what is the truth about this ‘Nordic’ nonsense. Anyway, I have in this War a burning private grudge—which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler (for the odd thing about demonic inspiration and impetus is that it in no way enhances the purely intellectual stature: it chiefly affects the mere will). Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light. Nowhere, incidentally, was it nobler than in England, nor more early sanctified and Christianized.

              ​Cheers,​

              Travis