Re: [mythsoc] Re: Astarte and Mary

  • Alana Joli Abbott
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 15, 2013

      You do realize, I hope, that as much fun as The White Goddess is, Graves is selling you a bill of goods? "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" for clever people. Fine author, but mad as a hatter.

      Oh, yes. It was the ongoing joke in my course on Mythic Imagination (in which we also studied Jung and Barfield and a strange astronomical theory on myth in Hamlet's Mill) that Graves had been eating mushrooms the entire time he spent writing the book, which, it was suggested, took place over a single weekend. I think that there were some source citations that led us to those conclusions, but I can't remember how much we exaggerated for grins and giggles.

      Of course, there's an awful lot of subsequent scholarship -- or, at least, philosophy -- that has followed in the footsteps of The White Goddess, so regardless of its flaws, it ends up being a useful work to be familiar with. In my opinion, anyway.

      -Alana

      Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
      Regaining Home is Kickstarted! http://tinyurl.com/kickstartregaininghome
      Author of interactive novel Choice of Kung Fu http://tinyurl.com/aja-cog
    • Tony Zbaraschuk
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 17, 2013
        On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:36:10PM -0700, John Rateliff wrote:
        > And it's just as interesting to see what current thinking among
        > the historians and archeologists and scientist is on some of these
        > same issues -- e.g., the recent Cunliffe and Koch volume CELTIC
        > FROM THE WEST, which I only learned about at this year's Kalamazoo,
        > challenges a lot of what I'd been taught about the origins of the
        > Celts and turns it on its head.

        For that matter, there's Michael Witzel's _The Origins of the World's
        Mythologies_, which is grand synthesis on an almost unbelievable
        scale (myths, linguistics, genetics -- all leading back to reconstructing
        common mythological structures and heading back into common elements
        among groups that have been separated since the colonization of
        Australia...) Just recently out, and very interesting.

        Tony Z

        --
        Courage is a virtue. It does not follow that all
        courageous acts are in the service of virtuous ends.