Re: [mythsoc] Re: "in defiance of Kipling"

  • Troels Forchhammer
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013

      On 15 June 2013 21:51, Wayne G. Hammond <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

      You're defining the difference, then, between lecturing and "lecturing".  That level of minute precision of nomenclature I can't follow you on.  If he talked for an hour to a class, whether he was willing to be interrupted and enter into side discussions or not, he was lecturing, whether it was what the university formally called a "lecture" or not.

      It would have been a meaningful difference to the extent that a lecture was public -- so Graves could have attended like any other Oxford student -- while a class was not. Theoretically, Graves could have enrolled, but the number of students in a class was limited. The distinction, anyway, is important when discussing Oxford of the time, because one encounters these terms in the literature. Of course, we understand what you mean: it's all teaching.

      Would there have been a difference also in what kind of locations were used for lectures and classes? In my experience the difference between what I might call a lecture theatre (usually with built up rows of seats for the audience) and a class room (with everything at the same level — possibly with a raised dais for the teacher) means quite a lot to the dynamics of teaching (the difference you describe sound quite like the distinction we had between lectures and smaller “classes” when I was at university where different locations were invariably used for the two types of teaching, though of course things were called by different names at a Danish university).

      /Troels

      --
          Love while you've got
              love to give.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013
        Would there have been a difference also in what kind of locations were used for lectures and classes? In my experience the difference between what I might call a lecture theatre (usually with built up rows of seats for the audience) and a class room (with everything at the same level — possibly with a raised dais for the teacher) means quite a lot to the dynamics of teaching (the difference you describe sound quite like the distinction we had between lectures and smaller “classes” when I was at university where different locations were invariably used for the two types of teaching, though of course things were called by different names at a Danish university).

        Lectures required larger rooms, though the size naturally would have varied according to location, and perhaps depending on the subject and the seniority, or popularity, of the lecturer. As a professor, Tolkien usually lectured in the Examination Schools, a building in the High Street which as the name suggests was (and is) also used for sitting exams. During the war, Tolkien lectured in the Taylor Institution in St Giles'. We note in our Chronology the locations where Tolkien taught, and where he was taught as a student, as far as we could discover them. His 1920 class on Sir Gawain was conducted at 40 Broad Street, at that time a former doctor's surgery occupied by the University of Oxford School of Geography, later one of a group of houses demolished to make way for the New Bodleian Library.

        Wayne & Christina