Re: [mythsoc] Re: "… in defiance of Kipling"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2013
      Tolkien also tutored and lectured at the university during the same period, in 1919-20, that he was working on the Dictionary.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2013

        Tolkien also tutored and lectured at the university during the same period, in 1919-20, that he was working on the Dictionary.

        The evidence of this period (so far as we're aware of it) indicates that Tolkien tutored only students from the women's colleges, and gave no lectures, though he did briefly teach a class on Sir Gawain and the Green Knight in Trinity Term 1920, beginning on 1 May. He ceased to work on the Dictionary at the end of that month.

        W.A. Craigie was the Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1916 until Tolkien succeeded him in 1925. Bremer might have looked it up.

        Wayne & Christina