Re: Tolkien and politics

  • IcelofAngeln
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013

      > <davise@...> wrote:
      >
      > > The politics as well as the racism is off-base. The hobbits, with their
      > > elected mayor, are certainly the
      > > closest thing in Middle-Earth to a liberal democracy. The Entmoot also
      > > seems to be carried out by
      > > vote or by consensus.
      >
      >the neo-Nazis... probably can't tear their eyes away
      > from the political spectacle of the destined and rightful monarch taking the
      > crown.

      I'm not sure what Nazism has to do with monarchism, except in some folks' vague sense that they're both "right-wing"; the Gestapo had a special office to monitor and control what they termed "reactionaries," and expressing monarchist ideas within earshot of the wrong people could put you in the camps- where in fact almost all the surviving German royal families wound up, if they hadn't left for exile.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013
        You don't have to be so literal. Hitler saw himself as a destined and rightful leader; he'd have no trouble identifying with a similarly destined monarch in a fictional story.

        The Nazis also liked Wagner's Ring. What characters would they have identified with in _that_?