pagans -- Gaiman's Sandman

  • Donander Evre
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2000
      Message: 3
      Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:19:58 -0400
      From: "Diane Joy Baker" <dianejoy@...>
      Subject: Re: Real Pagans

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <Stolzi@...>
      To: <mythsoc@egroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2000 6:09 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] [Fwd: Harry Potter as Satan's
      agent]

      > I once found a book in the bookstore on reviving the
      Norse religion.
      Was
      > totally disillusioned by what they wrote about
      conducting a
      sacrifice.
      As I
      > recall the sacrifice had the succinct name of
      "Blod." Well, these
      namby
      > pamby pagans wanted to have a Blod by just pouring
      out milk, or wine,
      or
      > something.
      >
      > Pah! :)
      >
      > Mary S

      Always wondered what it would be like if a real pagan
      (oh, let's say
      from
      ancient Greece) met a New Ager type pagan. I'm
      convinced the lack of
      relativistic thinking, insistance on a sense of
      "right" and "wrong"
      would be
      something that would "produce nagative vibes" in the
      NA version. Not
      mention the passionate belief.

      .................\

      Did you ever read Gaiman's brilliant Sandman story THE
      GAME OF YOU? It's out in a trade paperback with an
      intro by Samuel R Delany. Basically, Gaiman does just
      exactly that with a character who is one of the
      thessalian witches. There is one scene with her and
      two pagan new york lesbians and a severed head nailed
      to a wall that is both really funny and really creepy.

      I wish I had my copy here, I'd type out some of the
      best lines.

      Nin

      http://im.yahoo.com/
    • Diane Joy Baker
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 22, 2000
        > Did you ever read Gaiman's brilliant Sandman story THE
        > GAME OF YOU?

        I have *all ten volumes* of Gaiman's Sandman series, which I love. Gaiman
        is one of the best myth-makers around (and he's cute, too!) Butterbur's
        Woodshed did a round robin discussion of the Sandman series (and other
        graphic novels) for the July issue.

        > Basically, Gaiman does just
        > exactly that with a character who is one of the
        > thessalian witches. There is one scene with her and
        > two pagan new york lesbians and a severed head nailed
        > to a wall that is both really funny and really creepy.

        I remember this scene, and it *is* both funny and creepy. That severed
        head. Brrr!

        > I wish I had my copy here, I'd type out some of the
        > best lines.

        I'll get it and refresh my memory sometime soon. ---djb.