Re: [mythsoc] Astarte and Mary

  • Alana Joli Abbott
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 10, 2013
      On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Larry Swain <theswain@...> wrote:
      Consort/spouse and mother are rather different relationships, or at least so one hopes.

      Tangential -- but if you follow Graves's theories from The White Goddess, then the consort/spouse and mother relationships are a lot closer in some branches of mythology than others! His whole idea of the Mother Goddess as mother and consort of the Year King is an example. But I think that refers to his own interpretations of a pre-mythological base rather than any specific mythology we have documentation of, rather than applying directly to Astarte (who I'd not paid much attention to before this conversation).

      -Alana

      Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
      Regaining Home is Kickstarted! http://tinyurl.com/kickstartregaininghome
      Author of interactive novel Choice of Kung Fu http://tinyurl.com/aja-cog
    • Tony Zbaraschuk
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 17, 2013
        On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:36:10PM -0700, John Rateliff wrote:
        > And it's just as interesting to see what current thinking among
        > the historians and archeologists and scientist is on some of these
        > same issues -- e.g., the recent Cunliffe and Koch volume CELTIC
        > FROM THE WEST, which I only learned about at this year's Kalamazoo,
        > challenges a lot of what I'd been taught about the origins of the
        > Celts and turns it on its head.

        For that matter, there's Michael Witzel's _The Origins of the World's
        Mythologies_, which is grand synthesis on an almost unbelievable
        scale (myths, linguistics, genetics -- all leading back to reconstructing
        common mythological structures and heading back into common elements
        among groups that have been separated since the colonization of
        Australia...) Just recently out, and very interesting.

        Tony Z

        --
        Courage is a virtue. It does not follow that all
        courageous acts are in the service of virtuous ends.