Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and women

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2013
      You're welcome. I've been to the message board and seen the original
      poster's acknowledgment that she probably misremembered. My guess is that
      what happened is that she took what Tolkien actually said about women's
      education in his letter to Michael, and unconsciously combined it in her
      mind with other stereotypical male chauvinist views of a quite different
      nature, and assumed that Tolkien accepted the whole package. Having read
      Letters only, which doesn't emphasize the other aspects of Tolkien's work
      with women's education, could reinforce this misapprehension.

      And who knows what such an otherwise-uninformed reader would make of the
      comment on Lewis's "very strange marriage" ...