Re: [mythsoc] Astarte and Mary

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 9, 2013
      On Jun 10, 2013, at 12:13 AM, aveeris523 <aveeris523@...> wrote:

      > It's more like the names changing while the basic concept remains. New cultures re purposed older deities, holidays, built new churches on older holy sites.

      If you mean by this to assert that Mary's title of Queen of Heaven has to do with or owes anything to Astarte, then to paraphrase Tolkien (who would have taken considerable umbrage and even offense to such an assertion), "both were female, and there the resemblance stops". Mary is called the Queen of Heaven because, as mother of the Church, which is the Bride of Christ, she is Queen to His King; and because she is identified with the "woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head" in Revelations 12. Neither of these have anything to do with Astarte, and are thus completely self-sufficient and consistent rationales for the title, having nothing at all to do with the figure, nature, or character of Astarte.

      > Mary, the mother of Jesus would have been baffled at the idea of being eventually referred to by the title of a major pagan goddess.

      Perhaps — on the other hand, she herself proclaimed that "all generations shall call me blessed" — but if so, no more so than she would have been at being called Mother of God — which doesn't change the fact that she _is_.

      Carl
    • Tony Zbaraschuk
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 17, 2013
        On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:36:10PM -0700, John Rateliff wrote:
        > And it's just as interesting to see what current thinking among
        > the historians and archeologists and scientist is on some of these
        > same issues -- e.g., the recent Cunliffe and Koch volume CELTIC
        > FROM THE WEST, which I only learned about at this year's Kalamazoo,
        > challenges a lot of what I'd been taught about the origins of the
        > Celts and turns it on its head.

        For that matter, there's Michael Witzel's _The Origins of the World's
        Mythologies_, which is grand synthesis on an almost unbelievable
        scale (myths, linguistics, genetics -- all leading back to reconstructing
        common mythological structures and heading back into common elements
        among groups that have been separated since the colonization of
        Australia...) Just recently out, and very interesting.

        Tony Z

        --
        Courage is a virtue. It does not follow that all
        courageous acts are in the service of virtuous ends.