Re: [mythsoc] Astarte and Mary

  • aveeris523
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 9, 2013
      Yes Jeanette, thanks for explaining it better!
      It's more like the names changing while the basic concept remains. New cultures re purposed older deities, holidays, built new churches on older holy sites. Mary, the mother of Jesus would have been baffled at the idea of being eventually referred to by the title of a major pagan goddess. One my favorites is the mermaid from Cornwall who spent a year in a lake and became a saint.

      Steve

      In a message dated 06/09/13 20:54:33 Pacific Daylight Time, jrr@... writes:
      I see what you mean.  The "idea" of Mary as the Queen of Heaven supplanted the "idea"of Astarte as the Queen of Heaven.

      I had understood the message as something more like Mary ending up with Astarte's previous job, which was what made me wonder where the displaced Astarte ended up, as there likely wasn't much possible upward movement from Queen of Heaven!

      Jeanette

    • Tony Zbaraschuk
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 17, 2013
        On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:36:10PM -0700, John Rateliff wrote:
        > And it's just as interesting to see what current thinking among
        > the historians and archeologists and scientist is on some of these
        > same issues -- e.g., the recent Cunliffe and Koch volume CELTIC
        > FROM THE WEST, which I only learned about at this year's Kalamazoo,
        > challenges a lot of what I'd been taught about the origins of the
        > Celts and turns it on its head.

        For that matter, there's Michael Witzel's _The Origins of the World's
        Mythologies_, which is grand synthesis on an almost unbelievable
        scale (myths, linguistics, genetics -- all leading back to reconstructing
        common mythological structures and heading back into common elements
        among groups that have been separated since the colonization of
        Australia...) Just recently out, and very interesting.

        Tony Z

        --
        Courage is a virtue. It does not follow that all
        courageous acts are in the service of virtuous ends.