Re: [mythsoc] That's what Tolkien needs all right - elf love stories

  • aveeris523
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 9, 2013
      Somewhere Mary began to be referred to as the Queen of Heaven. In the Book of Jeremiah the Jewish people were warned to stop making crescent-shaped cakes in honor of the Queen of Heaven (who I believe was Astarte, maybe Ashtaroth. I'll need to check)

      In a message dated 06/09/13 13:46:31 Pacific Daylight Time, jrr@... writes:
      Steve,

      I was not aware that Mary replaced Astarte as the Queen of Heaven.

      What happened to Astarte?  (Since it probably wasn't a promotion!)

      Jeanette

    • Tony Zbaraschuk
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 17, 2013
        On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:36:10PM -0700, John Rateliff wrote:
        > And it's just as interesting to see what current thinking among
        > the historians and archeologists and scientist is on some of these
        > same issues -- e.g., the recent Cunliffe and Koch volume CELTIC
        > FROM THE WEST, which I only learned about at this year's Kalamazoo,
        > challenges a lot of what I'd been taught about the origins of the
        > Celts and turns it on its head.

        For that matter, there's Michael Witzel's _The Origins of the World's
        Mythologies_, which is grand synthesis on an almost unbelievable
        scale (myths, linguistics, genetics -- all leading back to reconstructing
        common mythological structures and heading back into common elements
        among groups that have been separated since the colonization of
        Australia...) Just recently out, and very interesting.

        Tony Z

        --
        Courage is a virtue. It does not follow that all
        courageous acts are in the service of virtuous ends.