Re: [mythsoc] That's what Tolkien needs all right - elf love stories

  • Jeanette Rost
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 9, 2013
      Steve,

      I was not aware that Mary replaced Astarte as the Queen of Heaven.

      What happened to Astarte?  (Since it probably wasn't a promotion!)

      Jeanette

      On 6/9/2013 12:49 PM, aveeris523@... wrote:

           It's hard to beat the Japanese fan fiction I saw at the 2005 Tolkien conference in Birmingham: a set of illustrated books of very discrete gay love stories (walks on the beach, tears and kisses encounters between Frodo and Aragorn, candlelight suppers, etc.). I leafed through them and wondered, "Where's the War of the Ring?"
           I suppose we're stuck with the fact that, like any other great tale of adventure, Tolkien's work will continue to inspire a wide range of extension and speculation, from the ridiculous to the sublime. Think about how much has been tacked onto the Arthurian mythos, from ancient times on, until we can never hope to discern the original person in his time.  When did the wise men who visited the infant Jesus get to be three, with names and back stories? The New Testament leaves out part two of Gabriel's announcement to Mary that, after her death, she will be replacing Astarte as the Queen of Heaven.

      Steve Gaddis

    • Tony Zbaraschuk
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 17, 2013
        On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:36:10PM -0700, John Rateliff wrote:
        > And it's just as interesting to see what current thinking among
        > the historians and archeologists and scientist is on some of these
        > same issues -- e.g., the recent Cunliffe and Koch volume CELTIC
        > FROM THE WEST, which I only learned about at this year's Kalamazoo,
        > challenges a lot of what I'd been taught about the origins of the
        > Celts and turns it on its head.

        For that matter, there's Michael Witzel's _The Origins of the World's
        Mythologies_, which is grand synthesis on an almost unbelievable
        scale (myths, linguistics, genetics -- all leading back to reconstructing
        common mythological structures and heading back into common elements
        among groups that have been separated since the colonization of
        Australia...) Just recently out, and very interesting.

        Tony Z

        --
        Courage is a virtue. It does not follow that all
        courageous acts are in the service of virtuous ends.