Re: [mythsoc] Who's buying the DVD?

  • SherryT
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 29, 2013
      I'm glad someone else said this, Larry. When the first response or so here included praise for the film rendition of the song, I decided not to mention my own take on it. I'm sincerely pleased that many viewers enjoyed that scene! Everyone gets something different out of any work of fiction, no matter the medium.
      But now that you write,
      "The song was not at all what I've always imagined ... it's a lovely song, but like so much in the movie that I enjoyed, it isn't what I see as Tolkien.",
      well, I have someone with whom I can agree.

      Here's my idiosyncratic "take" from the book.

      "...They came back with viols as big as themselves, and with Thorin's harp wrapped in a green cloth. It was a beautiful golden harp, and when Thorin struck it the music began all at once, so sudden and sweet that Bilbo forgot everything else, and was swept away into dark lands under strange moons, far over The Water and very far from his hobbit-hole under the Hill.
      The dark came into the room from the little window...and still they played on...
      The dark filled all the room, and the fire died down, and the shadows were lost, and still they played on. And suddenly first one and then another began to sing as they played, deep-throated singing of the dwarves in the deep places of their ancient homes; and this is like a fragment of their song, if it can be like their song without their music.

      'Far over the misty mountains old
      To dungeons deep and caverns old
      We must away ere break of day
      To seek the pale enchanted gold.

      The mountain smoked beneath the moon;
      The dwarves, they heard the tramp of doom.
      They fled their hall to dying fall
      Beneath his feet, beneath the moon.

      Far over the misty mountains grim
      To dungeons deep and caverns dim
      We must away, ere break of day,
      To win our harps and gold from him!'

      As they sang the hobbit felt the love of beautiful things made by hands and by cunning and by magic moving through him, a fierce and a jealous love, the desire of the hearts of dwarves. Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick..."
      (The Hobbit, c1966, extracts from pages 22-24.)

      When I read this, I feel magic in the setting and especially in the lyrics--like a incantation sung rather than chanted. I envision how the words and music are so powerful that they envelope an ordinary hobbit with the dwarvish love of metals and rare stones and with intricate crafting. Then beyond even that, with an uncanny desire to visit alien places and to even do battle! Inconceivable for a halfling, even one with Tooklish blood. Gandalf's chat with Bilbo earlier couldn't do this, and Gandalf is a wizard!

      In my mind's eye, I envision Bilbo imagining himself to be a dwarvish crafter and a warrior, visions so powerful that they are reality until the dwarves stop singing. I would have loved to see Jackson tackle -that- on the screen. He (obviously) depicts action scenes well, but he doesn't have a handle on the mysterious or the uncanny.

      Under the Mercy,
      SherryT

      Look for "Shadow Harper" in the new anthology "UnCONventional".
       Kaynak & Wooldridge, editors.     http://amzn.to/t7O8Lb
      The Narentan Tumults: SEABIRD   http://bit.ly/bKBQ7x
      EARTHBOW Vol.1 http://bit.ly/b9vDW1  Vol.2 http://amzn.to/8XXrVo

      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 29, 2013
        Hi John,

        > I'm hoping a complete version appears in the extended edition.

        I'd say that is about as likely as getting the rest of the riddles in the extended edition.  Which is to say, not very likely at all.

        Doug