Re: Who's buying the DVD?

  • not_thou
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 29, 2013
      --- Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:
      > The length of the song is a possible indication
      > that Larry is right. With ten verses, if it were
      > a dirge, it would take all night to sing. I know
      > the Dwarves are patient folk, but that seems a
      > bit much. :)

      I know you're joking, but: in the film, each of the song's lines takes about 9 seconds to sing. As you note, there are ten stanzas of four lines each. So the full song would take 6 minutes, or a bit more if there were a bridge or two (or the hummed introduction that actually is in the film). Long for radio airplay, sure, but closer to "American Pie" than "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" or "Alice's Restaurant".

      Using the Rankin-Bass melody for the same song, it would last roughly 5 minutes 20 seconds, again not counting any interludes.

      -Merlin
    • Doug Kane
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 29, 2013
        Hi John,

        > I'm hoping a complete version appears in the extended edition.

        I'd say that is about as likely as getting the rest of the riddles in the extended edition.  Which is to say, not very likely at all.

        Doug