Re: [mythsoc] Who's buying the DVD?

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 29, 2013
      I thought the song was extraordinarily well done, though it put me more in mind of the Dwarves of The Silmarillion than those of The Hobbit. (c.f., from "Of the Fifth Battle": "Then the Dwarves raised up the body of Azagh├ól and bore it away; and with slow steps they walked behind singing a dirge in deep voices, as it were a funeral pomp in their country, and gave no heed more to their foes; and none dared to stay them.")  I also thought that Martin Freeman's Bilbo's reaction to the song was beautifully done, though I don't disagree with Troels' point that it didn't quite match Tolkien's description.

      Doug

      Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 9:02 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Who's buying the DVD?

      The length of the song is a possible indication that Larry is right. With ten verses, if it were a dirge, it would take all night to sing. I know the Dwarves are patient folk, but that seems a bit much. :)

      Best,
      Jason

      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 29, 2013
        Hi John,

        > I'm hoping a complete version appears in the extended edition.

        I'd say that is about as likely as getting the rest of the riddles in the extended edition.  Which is to say, not very likely at all.

        Doug