Re: [mythsoc] The song [was: Who's buying the DVD?]

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2013
      I agree.  Not only the instrumentation described in the text, but the lyrics themselves.  If one reads them out loud, the cadence becomes apparent, and the voice naturally falls into a certain rhythm and tempo.  I don't think I'm that unusual when, for me, that rhythm/tempo is very much like a march.

      Besides, the song is meant to be stirring, not wistful.  It portrays the determination and passion the dwarves have for their quest.  If their quest had failed, or if they had no quest seriously in mind at all, and were just musing over past failures and regret, then I could see it sung as dirge-like as Jackson has it.  But that is not the case.

      David Emerson

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2013
        Another great point!
        From: David Emerson <emerdavid@...>
        the song is meant to be stirring, not wistful.  It portrays the determination and passion the dwarves have for their quest.

        Under the Mercy,
        SherryT

        Look for "Shadow Harper" in the new anthology "UnCONventional".
         Kaynak & Wooldridge, editors.     http://amzn.to/t7O8Lb
        The Narentan Tumults: SEABIRD   http://bit.ly/bKBQ7x
        EARTHBOW Vol.1 http://bit.ly/b9vDW1  Vol.2 http://amzn.to/8XXrVo