Re: [mythsoc] Who's buying the DVD?

  • Troels Forchhammer
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 29, 2013
      Well, with four kids in the house, there was never any question of whether we'd buy it ;-)  (though I haven't had time to watch the DVD yet).

      For my own part, I found it much easier to simply relax and enjoy this first installment of the Hobbit trilogy than I had with the LotR films (particularly the last two) — simply because it was so far removed from Tolkien's story that I could more easily separate the two. So while I'd agree with Larry that "it isn't what I see as Tolkien" (and extend it to the whole story), I found that this was a great benefit for myself.

      As for the song, _Far over the misty mountains cold_, I think it fits very well what they did with the Dwarves in the film, though there is, at least in my perception, little of Tolkien's description of Bilbo's reaction to the song, "As they sang the hobbit felt the love of beautiful things made by hands and by cunning and by magic moving through him, a fierce and jealous love, the desire of the hearts of dwarves."

      Enjoying the film simply as a kind of adventure-ride entertainment, the only part that bothered me was the escape (by Gandalf and the dwarves) from the goblins, which I found drawn-out and, frankly, quite boring before it was half over (the sweeping camera motions didn't help me there, neither in 2D or 3D). Taken on its own premises, the rest of the film is enjoyable and makes reasonable sense (i.e. it is no less consistent, and has no more plot holes than any other comparable modern action-adventure film).

      Not having tried any modern 3D cinema, the 3D effect was much better than I had anticipated, though the length of the film is probably at the limit of what I can handle (I was very close to a splitting headache when I left the theatre after watching the film in 3D).

      On 29 April 2013 09:06, Larry Swain <theswain@...> wrote:

      I confess that I will buy it, haven't yet though.  While shame facedly confessing things re: the Hobbit movie, I know a lot of people liked the music, esp. the dwarves' song, Far over.....and I must say that that was one of the huge let downs of the movie for me.  The song was not at all what I've always imagined and had entirely the wrong cadence.  I mean it's a lovely song, but like so much in the movie that I enjoyed, it isn't what I see as Tolkien.
      Larry Swain
      On Sun, Apr 28, 2013, at 02:37 PM, John Rateliff wrote:

      I bought it, of course, the day it went on sale and have now watched it multiple times (five in the theatre, five on dvd). I was particularly impressed by how much is going on in the background of some scenes, such as those at Bag End. There are a lot of little character-building moments with the various dwarves that I didn't take in on a first or second or third viewing, where I was focusing on the main characters in a scene.

      All in all, my reaction is pretty much what I expected: I enjoy the scenes I'd liked on the big screen, and didn't like those I hadn't liked. So I don't think having or not having the dvd will have a major impact on anybody's appreciation or otherwise of the film. Luckily, I liked it v. much indeed, so I'm glad to have the chance to re-watch it anytime I feel like.
      November comes the extended edition, and December the next installment. Seven (eight) months to go.
      --John R.
      On Apr 27, 2013, at 6:11 PM, shawnareppert wrote:
      > Wondering who out there is going to be buying The Hobbit DVD? I will, simply because the parts that are actually Tolkien are worth watching over and over (the dwarves singing 'Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold', oh, yes) and with a DVD I can skip over the annoying PJ additions.

          Love while you've got
              love to give.
          Live while you've got
              life to live.
       - Piet Hein, /Memento Vivere/
    • Doug Kane
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 29, 2013
        Hi John,
        > I'm hoping a complete version appears in the extended edition.

        I'd say that is about as likely as getting the rest of the riddles in the extended edition.  Which is to say, not very likely at all.