Two questions about Greek in "English and Welsh".

  • not_thou
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29 12:34 AM
      I've lately been re-reading Tolkien's essay "English and Welsh" (as collected in THE MONSTERS AND THE CRITICS AND OTHER ESSAYS) and am puzzled by a couple points.

      On p. 170, he notes, "I am not a German, though my surname is German (Anglicized like Cerdic) -- my other names are Hebrew, Norse, Greek, and French." I believe John is (ultimately) Hebrew, Ronald is Norse (via Scotland?), and Reuel was believed by Tolkien's parents to be French (LETTERS 398) although it also is a Hebrew name. Does the "Greek" refer to his confirmation name, Philip?

      On p. 191, he writes: "The fluidity of Greek, punctuated by hardness, and with its surface glitter, captivated me, even when I met it first only in Greek names, of history and mythology, and I tried to invent a language that would embody the Greekness of Greek (so far as it came through that garbled form)". To which of Tolkien's invented languages is he referring?

      -Merlin
    • Damien
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2013
        Hello,

        I believe Tolkien is referring there to Quenya, which he described thus in Letter #144:

        "The archaic language of lore is meant to be a kind of `Elven-latin'. . . . Actually it might be said to be composed on a Latin basis with two other (main) ingredients that happen to give me `phonaesthetic' pleasure: Finnish and Greek."

        Best regards,
        Damien