RE: [mythsoc] Who's buying the DVD?

  • Kathleen Lamantia
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 28, 2013
      Watched it last night on a library-borrowed dvd.  Taking it back on Monday.  Would never buy it.

      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      From: jamescurcio@...
      Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 23:36:24 -0400
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Who's buying the DVD?

       I finally got around to watching The Hobbit for the first time tonight. It's pretty much what I expected -- I liked the LOTR movies more, at least the "extended editions." I could overlook the little hollywood "let's increase the drama by making a character say no and then at the last minute change their mind" in LOTR. In the Hobbit, I did enjoy the addition of the backstory material that so many have complained about, actually-- what I get really tired of is again the insistence of the studios that nothing is "interesting" unless it includes all the characters being tossed off a cliff and hanging on by their beards. After 2 hours of that I found myself somewhat bored and annoyed by that formula being applied over and over again. Can't we just have a damn STORY? No. Of course not.

      The art direction/production design made the LOTR movies worth watching for me many times, especially with the addition of my wife's slash-fiction humor every couple of minutes. It was still nice in this one -- though I don't understand why some of the Dwarves had little or no beards -- but I can't say it saved these movies for me. In effect, the things I liked about the LOTR movies were less present or at best equally present, and the things I didn't like were a great deal more present.

      I keep the LOTR extended editions on my HD. I have a hunch I'm going to be deleting the hobbit within a month and just keeping it on my backup drive in the event of extreme drunkenness one night. Oh well.

      Modern Myths, Independantly Produced: http://www.mythosmedia.net
      The Modern Mythology blog: http://www.modernmythology.net

      On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM, Linda DeMars <linda@...> wrote:

      I bought the dvd for my spl ed son who loves movies and books on tape and JRRTolkien (As he says- he also calls C.S.Lewis "Jack")  Last Saturday we watched it with his nephews - who had been reading the book and had not seen the movie. They visited, just for the day, and opted  to watch the DVD at our house insead of going to the movie because they said - "if we go to the movie, that's the day. If we watch the dvd, we can stop it and walk the dog, go out for pizza, and go to the park with Mom and sister, etc., also talk to you and Grandpa and Ashton., maybe read a bit, choose books and magazines to take home.' I watched it again with the boys. Eight year old sister was not interested. Boys ages 12 and 14 were very interested and really like it.

      I enjoyed the dvd and I really enjoyed it at the movie theatre. Yes, the fight in the goblin cave did go on for ever.  I am wondering if those who had not read the footnotes (or whatever they were ) in the Lord of the Ring series [would have enjoyed it as much.

      LindaC

      On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM, shawnareppert <evenstar@...> wrote:

      Wondering who out there is going to be buying The Hobbit DVD? I will, simply because the parts that are actually Tolkien are worth watching over and over (the dwarves singing 'Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold', oh, yes) and with a DVD I can skip over the annoying PJ additions.

    • Doug Kane
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 29, 2013
        Hi John,

        > I'm hoping a complete version appears in the extended edition.

        I'd say that is about as likely as getting the rest of the riddles in the extended edition.  Which is to say, not very likely at all.

        Doug