Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: historic audio/video recordings

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 26, 2013
      Dyson never published very much.  Like many of the lesser-known Inklings, he was primarily a scholar in his work.  He specialized in Elizabethan through 18th-century English literature.  There is a reference in Warnie Lewis's diary to Dyson having, in the 1930s, written a learned and allusion-filled pastiche of Alexander Pope, but it was apparently never published and not followed up on.  C.S. Lewis invited Dyson to the Inklings for the wit and gusto of his conversation, as well as (the basic requirement for any Inkling) the basic cast and understanding of his mind.

      Of the Inklings besides Tolkien, Lewis, and Williams, the only ones who wrote fiction that we know of were Owen Barfield, John Wain (who didn't embark on a fiction career until after his Inklings days), and Roger Lancelyn Green (if you consider him an Inkling).  Many others were poets, however, and a few read their scholarly work to the Inklings.