Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: historic audio/video recordings

  • SherryT
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 26 10:40 AM
      Thank you, Wendell! Now if only there had been a tape recorder running during that conversation...

      Under the Mercy,
      SherryT

      Look for "Shadow Harper" in the new anthology "UnCONventional".
       Kaynak & Wooldridge, editors.     http://amzn.to/t7O8Lb
      The Narentan Tumults: SEABIRD   http://bit.ly/bKBQ7x
      EARTHBOW Vol.1 http://bit.ly/b9vDW1  Vol.2 http://amzn.to/8XXrVo

      The Wikipedia entry will tell you most of what you want to know about Dyson:

      He's buried in the same cemetery as Charles Williams.  I remember visiting that cemetery while living in England.  He seems to be known among most Inklings fans as the one who made the vulgar quote about how much he disliked The Lord of the Rings as Tolkien read it to the group in manuscript.  Darling is usually considered quite a good film.  Julie Christie won an Oscar for her performance in it.  Oh, and he's also known as one of the two people (along with J. R. R. Tolkien) who, in a famous conversation that lasted much of one night, persuaded C. S. Lewis to become a Christian.  I would say that he's pretty important to the history of the Inklings.

      The Wikipedia entry will tell you most of what you want to know about Dyson:

      He's buried in the same cemetery as Charles Williams.  I remember visiting that cemetery while living in England.  He seems to be known among most Inklings fans as the one who made the vulgar quote about how much he disliked The Lord of the Rings as Tolkien read it to the group in manuscript.  Darling is usually considered quite a good film.  Julie Christie won an Oscar for her performance in it.  Oh, and he's also known as one of the two people (along with J. R. R. Tolkien) who, in a famous conversation that lasted much of one night, persuaded C. S. Lewis to become a Christian.  I would say that he's pretty important to the history of the Inklings.

      Wendell Wagner

    • SherryT

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 26 2:53 PM
          Dyson never published very much.  Like many of the lesser-known Inklings, he was primarily a scholar in his work.  He specialized in Elizabethan through 18th-century English literature.  There is a reference in Warnie Lewis's diary to Dyson having, in the 1930s, written a learned and allusion-filled pastiche of Alexander Pope, but it was apparently never published and not followed up on.  C.S. Lewis invited Dyson to the Inklings for the wit and gusto of his conversation, as well as (the basic requirement for any Inkling) the basic cast and understanding of his mind.

          Of the Inklings besides Tolkien, Lewis, and Williams, the only ones who wrote fiction that we know of were Owen Barfield, John Wain (who didn't embark on a fiction career until after his Inklings days), and Roger Lancelyn Green (if you consider him an Inkling).  Many others were poets, however, and a few read their scholarly work to the Inklings.