Re: [mythsoc] Re: Denethor and Abraham

  • Tony Zbaraschuk
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 26, 2013
      On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:57:55AM -0000, lynnmaudlin wrote:
      > Tony, no no no (she screams), probably not what you meant but your
      > statement, "from the Old Testament, the tradition of sacrifices to
      > Moloch, "passing one's seed through the fire", and its parallels in
      > Phoenecian culture" makes it sound like this was part of Judaism or
      > acceptable in some way. NO, this was NOT a Jewish tradition but a
      > corruption of the people where the worship of a foreign god (Molech
      > , in this case) has been embraced in specific disobedience to the
      > law given in Leviticus 18:21 ('You shall not give any of your offspring
      > to offer them to Molech, nor shall you profane the name of your
      > God; I am the LORD'). So yes, that horrible thing happened and it
      > is noted in the Bible but even with the general lack of editorial
      > comment, it's clear this is an abomination before YHWH.

      Of course it is, and I never intended to imply otherwise. I was just
      pointing out that, if you're looking for parallels in the Bible to
      Denethor wanting to burn his own son, this one is probably worth
      considering as well.

      Not everythign in the Bible is there as an example to be followed;
      sometimes they're examples to be avoided. Which doesn't mean that
      people looking for literary comparisons can't use them in various
      ways.

      <snip Jepthah -- no comment there>

      > Of course, the problem with making Denethor's madness-induced
      > attempt to burn his son alive is hardly comparable to the Akedah,
      > the great testing of Abraham, where YHWH instructs him to offer his
      > son as a sacrifice.

      Agreed.

      > Denethor didn't think he was making a sacrifice of his son in
      > obedience to his god, he was acting out of palantir/Sauron-induced
      > madness and despair. I suppose the theology student is looking at
      > some correspondence in the salvation aspect: God stops Abraham and
      > supplies him with a ram caught in a thicket; Gandalf rescues
      > Faramir and only Denethor is burned.

      Now that's an interesting way of seeing the inversion of a pattern.

      Tony Zbaraschuk