Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: historic audio/video recordings

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 25 10:17 PM
      SherryT wrote:

      >I've heard of Hugo Dyson in the
      >sense that I knew he was once an
      >Inkling. Has anyone read anything
      >of his?

      In the course of writing a major article on his life and works that was published in Mythlore in 1997, I read everything published of his, not that there was that much. What do you want to know?

      David Bratman
    • wendell_wagner
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 25 10:19 PM
        The Wikipedia entry will tell you most of what you want to know about Dyson:

        He's buried in the same cemetery as Charles Williams.  I remember visiting that cemetery while living in England.  He seems to be known among most Inklings fans as the one who made the vulgar quote about how much he disliked The Lord of the Rings as Tolkien read it to the group in manuscript.  Darling is usually considered quite a good film.  Julie Christie won an Oscar for her performance in it.  Oh, and he's also known as one of the two people (along with J. R. R. Tolkien) who, in a famous conversation that lasted much of one night, persuaded C. S. Lewis to become a Christian.  I would say that he's pretty important to the history of the Inklings.

        Wendell Wagner
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 26 9:09 AM
          Thank you, Wendell, for this succinct summary of Dyson Need To Know.

          Perhaps David Bratman will nominate a reading order for his works.

          Mike Foster

          Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 12:19 AM
          Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: historic audio/video recordings

          The Wikipedia entry will tell you most of what you want to know about Dyson:

          He's buried in the same cemetery as Charles Williams.  I remember visiting that cemetery while living in England.  He seems to be known among most Inklings fans as the one who made the vulgar quote about how much he disliked The Lord of the Rings as Tolkien read it to the group in manuscript.  Darling is usually considered quite a good film.  Julie Christie won an Oscar for her performance in it.  Oh, and he's also known as one of the two people (along with J. R. R. Tolkien) who, in a famous conversation that lasted much of one night, persuaded C. S. Lewis to become a Christian.  I would say that he's pretty important to the history of the Inklings.

          Wendell Wagner
        • not_thou
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 26 10:34 AM
            ---WendellWag@... wrote:
            > [Dyson] seems to be known among most
            > Inklings fans as the one who made the
            > vulgar quote about how much he disliked
            > The Lord of the Rings as Tolkien read
            > it to the group in manuscript.

            That vulgar quote ("Oh f***, not another elf!") comes from a biography of C.S. Lewis by A.N. Wilson, who elsewhere identifies Christopher Tolkien as his source. However, when David Doughan inquired about this, Christopher Tolkien said otherwise. See here:

            http://www.lotrplaza.com/showthread.php?16907-Comments-on-Truth-or-Consequences&p=168622#post168622

            As noted elsewhere in that discussion thread, Christopher Tolkien in a documentary does recall Dyson saying, "Oh God, no more elves!" I would guess this is Wilson's true source, carelessly cited in his book.

            -Merlin
          • SherryT
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 26 10:40 AM
              Thank you, Wendell! Now if only there had been a tape recorder running during that conversation...

              Under the Mercy,
              SherryT

              Look for "Shadow Harper" in the new anthology "UnCONventional".
               Kaynak & Wooldridge, editors.     http://amzn.to/t7O8Lb
              The Narentan Tumults: SEABIRD   http://bit.ly/bKBQ7x
              EARTHBOW Vol.1 http://bit.ly/b9vDW1  Vol.2 http://amzn.to/8XXrVo

              The Wikipedia entry will tell you most of what you want to know about Dyson:

              He's buried in the same cemetery as Charles Williams.  I remember visiting that cemetery while living in England.  He seems to be known among most Inklings fans as the one who made the vulgar quote about how much he disliked The Lord of the Rings as Tolkien read it to the group in manuscript.  Darling is usually considered quite a good film.  Julie Christie won an Oscar for her performance in it.  Oh, and he's also known as one of the two people (along with J. R. R. Tolkien) who, in a famous conversation that lasted much of one night, persuaded C. S. Lewis to become a Christian.  I would say that he's pretty important to the history of the Inklings.

                >I've heard of Hugo Dyson in the >sense that I knew he was once an >Inkling. Has anyone read anything >of his?
                In the course of writing a major article on his life and works that was published in Mythlore in 1997, I read everything published of his, not that there was that much. What do you want to know? David Bratman ------------------------------------ The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.orgYahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: mythsoc-digest@yahoogroups.com mythsoc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 26 2:53 PM
                  Dyson never published very much.  Like many of the lesser-known Inklings, he was primarily a scholar in his work.  He specialized in Elizabethan through 18th-century English literature.  There is a reference in Warnie Lewis's diary to Dyson having, in the 1930s, written a learned and allusion-filled pastiche of Alexander Pope, but it was apparently never published and not followed up on.  C.S. Lewis invited Dyson to the Inklings for the wit and gusto of his conversation, as well as (the basic requirement for any Inkling) the basic cast and understanding of his mind.

                  Of the Inklings besides Tolkien, Lewis, and Williams, the only ones who wrote fiction that we know of were Owen Barfield, John Wain (who didn't embark on a fiction career until after his Inklings days), and Roger Lancelyn Green (if you consider him an Inkling).  Many others were poets, however, and a few read their scholarly work to the Inklings.