Fwd: historic audio/video recordings

  • SherryT
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 25 5:31 PM
      Below is a mysterious fragment left over from an old email provider.

      My best guess is it's an email response of a Feb 2008 MythSoc discussion thread. Does anyone have any thoughts? Are "chuckfgt" or "gmdinformation" MythSoc members?

      Under the Mercy,
      SherryT

      Look for "Shadow Harper" in the new anthology "UnCONventional".
       Kaynak & Wooldridge, editors.     http://amzn.to/t7O8Lb
      The Narentan Tumults: SEABIRD   http://bit.ly/bKBQ7x
      EARTHBOW Vol.1 http://bit.ly/b9vDW1  Vol.2 http://amzn.to/8XXrVo

      From: "chuckfgt" I've even got some video of of Hugo Dyson taken from the small bit he played in a horrid movie called *Darling* back in the mid 60's.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2jHEJzpRYs

      Where do you get these?!

      Well, you probably don't literally want to know :-) but, oh, all over
      the place: archives of film studios like Pathe (that's where I got my
      Chesterton footage), the BBC, Edisonia, Library of Congress (I've
      found several old photos there of people that have never been seen
      including Yeats and Chesterton), U of C at Berkley, archive.org,
      musicstack.com, and a couple of dozen other places including several
      magazines aimed at collectors of audio and video. I put out a CD a
      couple of months ago of historic recordings that I cleaned up from
      old Edison cylinders and diamond discs that's selling pretty well.
      Odd thing about internet sales is that this new generation of kids
      aren't buying CD's so much as they are paying for downloading mp3
      files of individual tracks they like. It's almost like 78's are back.

      from the youtube site:

      Hugo Dyson (The Forgotten Inkling)

      gmdinformation gmdinformation·36 videos
      341
      4,295
      Like 19     Dislike 0

      Uploaded on Nov 23, 2007

      Hugo Dyson was a big part of the CS Lewis posse known as "The Inklings". Not a whole lot is known about Hugo by the general public because he wasn't a prolific writer. But it was the conversation and general way of life presented by Dyson, together with JRR Tolkien, that had the biggest impact on Lewis' conversion to Christianity.

      It seems to me from reading the letters of Jack that, Warnie Lewis, (Jack's older brother) seemed to like Dyson best of all the Inklings. Hugo Dyson was generally thought of as the fun one of the bunch. When the BBC was looking for someone to give televised lectures on Shakespeare in the mid 1960's, they turned to Hugo Dyson partly because he was an expert on Shakespeare and partly because of his charm. The BBC series was fairly successful and this led one of the show's producers to ask Dyson to appear in a film called, Darling, starring Dirk Bogarde and Julie Christie. His role was so small that it went un-credited and yet his character was pivotal. He played the part of, Professor Walter Southgate, a writer who was presented as the last of a literary breed from London that left a huge impact on the world. He's only onscreen for a couple of minutes but the death of his character leaves a lasting impact on the rest of the script.

      The film is quite unremarkable in every way except for the character of Southgate. Not only do we get to see an actual Inkling on film but we get to see Lewis' friend play a character not unlike Jack himself in his waning years. For this alone, the movie, Darling, is worth searching out for fans of CS Lewis and The Inklings.

      I've culled the few moments from the film that have to do with Dyson's character and edited them together in the chronological order they appeared, and in so doing have created a sort of 5-minute mini-movie that comes off like the death of CS Lewis and the impact he left behind on a few people, namely Julie Christie's character. Its not every day you get to see an Inkling on film. I hope you enjoy it.

      Category

      People & Blogs

      License

      Standard YouTube License

      Uploader Comments (gmdinformation)

      All Comments (15)

      • gmdinformation
        None of that will yield any results. I know Richard Sturch quite well. He's never seen or heard of such a photo either. There has to be one somewhere though. I would guess that if one were to visit all the schools the kid went to that one of them would have a class picture with him in it. Also, Charles' sister, Edith, had several photos of her brother and family that biographers have used over the years. I'm guessing that no one even thought to ask about her nephew though.
      • TheNaturalMtDew
        I gave google images a decent hunt, but could not find any images of Michael Williams. Have you looked for photos in Charles Williams' biographies or contacted the Charles Williams Society? (charleswilliamssociety[dot]or ­g[dot]uk/) Best wishes!
      • gmdinformation
    • scribblerworks
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 25 6:22 PM
        A little research turns up that gmdinformation is the YouTube user name
        for a "George MacDonald Information" person. Links to his personal blogs
        don't provide more than apparently he's in the Illinois area. He hasn't
        added to his blog of religious thoughts since 2012, but his Yahoobuckaroo
        blogspot blog has a post from early April this year. But no specific name,
        so I can't say more than that at this time.

        Haven't checked "chucfgt".

        --Sarah

      • SherryT
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 25 9:50 PM
          Thanks for checking, Sarah.

          I have not a clue how I came by this email if not via MythSoc. Curiouser and curiouser.

          Putting that aside, I've heard of Hugo Dyson in the sense that I knew he was once an Inkling. Has anyone read anything of his?

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mythsoc-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mythsoc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 25 10:17 PM
            SherryT wrote:

            >I've heard of Hugo Dyson in the
            >sense that I knew he was once an
            >Inkling. Has anyone read anything
            >of his?

            In the course of writing a major article on his life and works that was published in Mythlore in 1997, I read everything published of his, not that there was that much. What do you want to know?

            David Bratman
          • wendell_wagner
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 25 10:19 PM
              The Wikipedia entry will tell you most of what you want to know about Dyson:

              He's buried in the same cemetery as Charles Williams.  I remember visiting that cemetery while living in England.  He seems to be known among most Inklings fans as the one who made the vulgar quote about how much he disliked The Lord of the Rings as Tolkien read it to the group in manuscript.  Darling is usually considered quite a good film.  Julie Christie won an Oscar for her performance in it.  Oh, and he's also known as one of the two people (along with J. R. R. Tolkien) who, in a famous conversation that lasted much of one night, persuaded C. S. Lewis to become a Christian.  I would say that he's pretty important to the history of the Inklings.

              Wendell Wagner
            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 26 9:09 AM
                Thank you, Wendell, for this succinct summary of Dyson Need To Know.

                Perhaps David Bratman will nominate a reading order for his works.

                Mike Foster

                Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 12:19 AM

                The Wikipedia entry will tell you most of what you want to know about Dyson:

                He's buried in the same cemetery as Charles Williams.  I remember visiting that cemetery while living in England.  He seems to be known among most Inklings fans as the one who made the vulgar quote about how much he disliked The Lord of the Rings as Tolkien read it to the group in manuscript.  Darling is usually considered quite a good film.  Julie Christie won an Oscar for her performance in it.  Oh, and he's also known as one of the two people (along with J. R. R. Tolkien) who, in a famous conversation that lasted much of one night, persuaded C. S. Lewis to become a Christian.  I would say that he's pretty important to the history of the Inklings.

                Wendell Wagner
              • not_thou
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 26 10:34 AM
                  ---WendellWag@... wrote:
                  > [Dyson] seems to be known among most
                  > Inklings fans as the one who made the
                  > vulgar quote about how much he disliked
                  > The Lord of the Rings as Tolkien read
                  > it to the group in manuscript.

                  That vulgar quote ("Oh f***, not another elf!") comes from a biography of C.S. Lewis by A.N. Wilson, who elsewhere identifies Christopher Tolkien as his source. However, when David Doughan inquired about this, Christopher Tolkien said otherwise. See here:

                  http://www.lotrplaza.com/showthread.php?16907-Comments-on-Truth-or-Consequences&p=168622#post168622

                  As noted elsewhere in that discussion thread, Christopher Tolkien in a documentary does recall Dyson saying, "Oh God, no more elves!" I would guess this is Wilson's true source, carelessly cited in his book.

                  -Merlin
                • SherryT

                      >I've heard of Hugo Dyson in the >sense that I knew he was once an >Inkling. Has anyone read anything >of his?
                      In the course of writing a major article on his life and works that was published in Mythlore in 1997, I read everything published of his, not that there was that much. What do you want to know? David Bratman ------------------------------------ The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.orgYahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: mythsoc-digest@yahoogroups.com mythsoc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 26 2:53 PM
                        Dyson never published very much.  Like many of the lesser-known Inklings, he was primarily a scholar in his work.  He specialized in Elizabethan through 18th-century English literature.  There is a reference in Warnie Lewis's diary to Dyson having, in the 1930s, written a learned and allusion-filled pastiche of Alexander Pope, but it was apparently never published and not followed up on.  C.S. Lewis invited Dyson to the Inklings for the wit and gusto of his conversation, as well as (the basic requirement for any Inkling) the basic cast and understanding of his mind.

                        Of the Inklings besides Tolkien, Lewis, and Williams, the only ones who wrote fiction that we know of were Owen Barfield, John Wain (who didn't embark on a fiction career until after his Inklings days), and Roger Lancelyn Green (if you consider him an Inkling).  Many others were poets, however, and a few read their scholarly work to the Inklings.