FW: A.Word.A.Day--bombilate

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22 7:27 AM

      What Tom Bombadil does?

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Sponsor

      Apr 22, 2013

      This week's theme
      Onomatopoeic words

      This week's words
      bombilate

      Have your say
      in our discussion forum
      Wordsmith Talk

      Bookmark and ShareFacebookTwitterDiggMySpaceBookmark and Share

      A.Word.A.Day

      with Anu Garg

      Bees buzz, clocks go tick-tock, and train engines hiss (or used to). Where there's sound there is onomatopoeia -- our interpretation of the sound in the form of a word (from Greek onoma: name + poiein: to make).

      This week we'll see five words coined by imitating the supposed sound of what is being described.

      bombilate

      PRONUNCIATION:

      (BOM-bi-layt)

      MEANING:

      verb intr.: To make a humming or buzzing noise.

      ETYMOLOGY:

      From Latin bombilare to (hum, buzz). Earliest documented use: 1600s.

      USAGE:

      "The entire building was bombilating like a cicada."
      Matt Cantor; Some Cures for Noisy Neighbors; The Berkeley Daily Planet (California); Oct 9, 2008.

      Explore "bombilate" in the Visual Thesaurus.

      A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:

      Society is like a lawn, where every roughness is smoothed, every bramble eradicated, and where the eye is delighted by the smiling verdure of a velvet surface; he, however, who would study nature in its wildness and variety, must plunge into the forest, must explore the glen, must stem the torrent, and dare the precipice. -Washington Irving, writer (1783-1859)

      Unsubscribe | Subscribe | Update address | Gift subscription | Contact us

      © 2013 Wordsmith.org