after all the hobbet movies are out in witch order do people think they should be watched?

  • Mich
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 12 9:45 PM
      Hi all. after all the hobbit movies are out in witch order do people think they should be watched. what I mean is do people think that the story between the hobbit and lotr if watched all together back to back will make for a smooth story ark? I also would like to know if people think that Jackson and ilk are going to be seen as the George lukis of Tolkien? meaning that the original star wars series episodes 4 to 6 were allot better then say episodes 1 to 3. from Mich.
    • Tony Zbaraschuk
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 12 10:22 PM
        On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 12:45:17AM -0400, Mich wrote:
        > Hi all. after all the hobbit movies are out in witch order do
        > people think they should be watched. what I mean is do people think
        > that the story between the hobbit and lotr if watched all together
        > back to back will make for a smooth story ark?

        That may depend on how well the latter two movies blend into the first.
        My impression, for what it's worth, from watching the first Hobbit
        movie is that there were A LOT of scenes which were intended very
        specifically to evoke moments from the LOTR films, so it would probably
        be better to watch them in release order rather than internal
        chronological order.

        > I also would like to know if people think that Jackson and ilk are
        > going to be seen as the George lukis of Tolkien? meaning that the
        > original star wars series episodes 4 to 6 were allot better then
        > say episodes 1 to 3. from Mich.

        Insufficient Data, at present. LOTR is certainly a larger and deeper
        story than that of the Hobbit, but the quality of film-making is a
        separate layer on top of that.

        Tony Zbaraschuk
        --
        There is a reason most German philosophy scholarship consists of
        trying to parse what German philosophers actually meant.
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 13 5:11 AM
          This is a little like asking what would be the best wine to serve with Cheetos — when you're dealing with junk, proper presentation is rather beside the point. And given that 66% of the J-Hobbit movies have not even appeared yet, it's pretty pointless guessing what might be the best order in which to view them. I suspect that in the end, all of Jackson's Tolkien movies will be best viewed resting snugly in their DVD cases, lying unpurchased in the bargain bin at Walmart.

          — Pat

          On Apr 12, 2013, at 11:45 PM, Mich <michv@...> wrote:

          Hi all. after all the hobbit movies are out in witch order do people think they should be watched. what I mean is do people think that the story between the hobbit and lotr if watched all together back to back will make for a smooth story ark? I also would like to know if people think that Jackson and ilk are going to be seen as the George lukis of Tolkien? meaning that the original star wars series episodes 4 to 6 were allot better then say episodes 1 to 3. from Mich.

        • IcelofAngeln
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 13 7:26 AM
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Mich <michv@...> wrote:

            > Hi all. after all the hobbit movies are out in witch order do people think they should be watched.

            One good time would be shortly after the accidental ingestion of some poisonous material, if one happens to be out of ipecac and needs an alternate method of inducing vomiting.
          • Carl F. Hostetter

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 13 10:42 AM
                I agree with Tony Z, on this one; too soon to tell what the best order of viewing wd be. And even after all six films are out, people might not agree on the answer.

                Ideally, both sets of films will be self-contained to the point that it doesn't matter which you watch first, the LotR movies or the Hobbit movies.

                --JDR

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 13 11:10 AM
                  I would just like to point out, to anybody inclined to dismiss or disparage me as a rabid Jackson-hater, that I would never say anything as strong as several of the previous responses to this question. I shall save them up for the necessary future reminders that I'm actually the restrained and considerate end of anti-Jackson opinion.

                  Heck, I enjoyed the movies. The "Mystery Science Theater"-style screening of Jackson's Fellowship at the 2003 Mythcon, where we all interjected our own one-liners, was one of the best evenings I've ever spent at a movie.

                  And I have a serious opinion on the question. Based on the style of Jackson's first Hobbit part, I suspect that a first encounter with the movies had better be in the order that Jackson made them. As with Star Wars, it's made to be encountered that way, and advances in special effects threaten to make the earlier movies look cheesy if viewed after the later ones.

                  For Tolkien's books, it's more complicated. Some people who like LOTR find The Hobbit overly cutesy; some people who like The Hobbit find LOTR gaseous and overblown. If you like both, start with The Hobbit; otherwise, you'd best find out what kind of person you are.
                • Mich
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 13 3:14 PM
                    ooo ok smile well i take it you don't like jackson's take on lotr smile. well thx for your thoughts. from Mich.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 13 10:50 PM
                      I am happy to see what ancers this question has sparked. I am also wondering. do any of you know of a roomered boxd set of all of the movies coming out in 2015? since I seem to remember hearing that after all the hobbit movies were out that there was going to be a boxd set coming out that was going to contain all of the movies of the hobbit and lotr including access features like talking menus and audio description for the blind something that sadly all of the hobbit movies to this point and the lotr ones at least over hear in north America seem to lack. that is a topic that anoys me since I feel that blind Tolkien lovers should be able to watch the movies with audio description or dvs as much as there sighted peers. But considering that wb  and lyansgate have not put any dvs tracks on there DVD's to date that doesn't surprise me but it still annoys me since all the other studios have seen fit to do so universal and all the other studios have made the effort to add the tracks for there movies on to the DVD as a extra track under the language option of the audio menu of the DVD so why can't the other people jump on the band wagon. PS to you JDR. Many thx for sending me that cd of Donald swan's song cycle. from Mich.