Differences between publications

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 19, 2000
      The "wrong ones??!" But they're ALL the RIGHT ones.

      The 3 publications are _Mythlore_, which is a tri-quarterly or quarterly (which
      is it, Ted?) containing more or less academic articles on the Inklings and
      their fiction and also myth and fantasy studies more generally; _Mythprint_,
      which is prompt and monthly, containing news of interest to Inklings and
      fantasy fans, (and much less focused on the Inklings) , book reviews,
      discussion and Mythcon reports, etc., and _Mythic Circle_, lately an annual,
      supposedly a writer's workshop-in-print with original fantasy stories and
      poems, with a lively letters column containing readers' critiques of the
      stories. I say supposedly because the letter column has certainly fallen off
      with the frequency of publication--when _MC_ was actually triquarterly, this
      was more true. I'm not blaming anyone, by the way, currently _MC_ is still a
      nice collection of stories and poems, with a few insightful (sometimes
      extended) letters of comment. I take them all, but I read _Mythprint_
      cover-to-cover (easy to do as it's only 12-16 pages per issue).

      Then there are the apas, _Once Upon a Time_, devoted to discussion of fantasy
      in children's books, and _Butterbur's Woodshed_, which is devoted to fantasy
      for grown-ups (as opposed to the adult fantasy found in certain seedy
      bookstores, or so I understand, having never actually visited such a
      bookstore). The apas are bi-monthly (opposite months) and not actually
      published by the Society, but by a couple of its special interest groups, and
      of course, available only to participants.

      ERATRIANO@... wrote:

      > Please tell me again the differences among the Mythopoeic Society
      > publications. I still haven't subscribed to any, for fear of sending for the
      > wrong one(s).

      David Lenander, Library Manager I

      University of Minnesota Bio-Medical Library Access Services

      Diehl Hall / 505 Essex SE, / Mpls., MN 55455

      Phone: work: (612)626-3375 fax: (612)626-2454 home: (651)292-8887

    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 19, 2000
        Mythlore is a quarterly. The next issue should be hitting your mailboxes in October
        and the final issue of 2000 should be out by the end of the year.

        I am always accepting submissions for review. Also, a number of readers have asked
        about book reviews. As of yet, no one has submitted a review. I have a couple
        reviews in the works (probably for the last issue of this year), including
        Tolkien's Legendarium and The Harmony Within: The Spiritual Vision of George
        MacDonald (revised edition).

        Ted

        David Lenander wrote:

        > The "wrong ones??!" But they're ALL the RIGHT ones.
        >
        > The 3 publications are _Mythlore_, which is a tri-quarterly or quarterly (which
        > is it, Ted?) containing more or less academic articles on the Inklings and
        > their fiction and also myth and fantasy studies more generally; _Mythprint_,
        > which is prompt and monthly, containing news of interest to Inklings and
        > fantasy fans, (and much less focused on the Inklings) , book reviews,
        > discussion and Mythcon reports, etc., and _Mythic Circle_, lately an annual,
        > supposedly a writer's workshop-in-print with original fantasy stories and
        > poems, with a lively letters column containing readers' critiques of the
        > stories. I say supposedly because the letter column has certainly fallen off
        > with the frequency of publication--when _MC_ was actually triquarterly, this
        > was more true. I'm not blaming anyone, by the way, currently _MC_ is still a
        > nice collection of stories and poems, with a few insightful (sometimes
        > extended) letters of comment. I take them all, but I read _Mythprint_
        > cover-to-cover (easy to do as it's only 12-16 pages per issue).
        >
        > Then there are the apas, _Once Upon a Time_, devoted to discussion of fantasy
        > in children's books, and _Butterbur's Woodshed_, which is devoted to fantasy
        > for grown-ups (as opposed to the adult fantasy found in certain seedy
        > bookstores, or so I understand, having never actually visited such a
        > bookstore). The apas are bi-monthly (opposite months) and not actually
        > published by the Society, but by a couple of its special interest groups, and
        > of course, available only to participants.
        >
        > ERATRIANO@... wrote:
        >
        > > Please tell me again the differences among the Mythopoeic Society
        > > publications. I still haven't subscribed to any, for fear of sending for the
        > > wrong one(s).
        >
        > David Lenander, Library Manager I
        >
        > University of Minnesota Bio-Medical Library Access Services
        >
        > Diehl Hall / 505 Essex SE, / Mpls., MN 55455
        >
        > Phone: work: (612)626-3375 fax: (612)626-2454 home: (651)292-8887
        >
        > e-mail: d-lena@... web-page: http://umn.edu/~d-lena/OnceUponATime.html

        Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature
        Box X041, Department of English
        Middle Tennessee State University
        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
        615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
        tsherman@...
        tedsherman@...
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 19, 2000
          In a message dated 09/19/2000 7:18:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          d-lena@... writes:

          << The "wrong ones??!" But they're ALL the RIGHT ones. >>

          LOL my concern is that I may take on something a little (or a lot) too
          highbrow or out of the scope of my interests. BW posts a list periodically
          of upcoming topics, but for the others one's on one's own. I wish I could
          buy sample copies, rather than jump in for a subscription.

          Lizzie
        • Ted Sherman
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 19, 2000
            You can buy sample copies. Just go to the society's website
            http://www.mythsoc.org and follow the publications link(s).

            Ted

            ERATRIANO@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 09/19/2000 7:18:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > d-lena@... writes:
            >
            > << The "wrong ones??!" But they're ALL the RIGHT ones. >>
            >
            > LOL my concern is that I may take on something a little (or a lot) too
            > highbrow or out of the scope of my interests. BW posts a list periodically
            > of upcoming topics, but for the others one's on one's own. I wish I could
            > buy sample copies, rather than jump in for a subscription.
            >
            > Lizzie

            Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
            Mythopoeic Literature
            Box X041, Department of English
            Middle Tennessee State University
            Murfreesboro, TN 37132
            615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
            tsherman@...
            tedsherman@...
          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 19, 2000
              You can also follow the link and actually read some of the
              Mythprint reviews. They are also putting up Mythlore's TOC so you
              can get a feel for that magazine as well.

              Lots of goodies on the website.

              Lisa

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 20, 2000
                In a message dated 09/19/2000 9:40:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                tedsherman@... writes:

                << You can buy sample copies. Just go to the society's website >>

                Thank you. See, I've "been meaning to" go to the website. I should have
                listened to myself.

                Lizzie