Re: [mythsoc] One last snippet from DNB

  • wendell_wagner
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2013
      Adjusted for inflation to 2013 U.K. pounds:

      Williams: 33,167.69
      Lewis: 940,275.27
      Tolkien: 1,982,000.80

      Converted to 2013 U.S. dollars:

      Williams: 50,195.98
      Lewis: 1,423,012.19
      Tolkien: 2,979,740.03

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 3/29/2013 4:55:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, sacnoth@... writes:
           Looking at the DNB (Dictionary of National Biography) entries on Williams, Lewis, and Tolkien, I was struck by the disparity in their wealth at time of death (there's actually a line for this at the end of each entry).
         Williams (d. 1945) left behind an estate worth 951 pounds, 9 shillings, and 1 pence.
         Lewis (d. 1963) left behind 55, 869 pounds. This would not have included The Kilns, which belonged to the Moores.
         Tolkien (d. 1973) left behind 190,577 pounds, but I don't know if this includes money he put aside for his children a few years before his death (since he had to survive a certain number of years after that point for the trust to take effect). Still, a sizable amount.
         Part of the disparity between these is no doubt due to inflation, but I still found the relative amounts interesting -- esp. for CSL, who left considerably more than I wd have expected.