Two Calls For Papers for The Mythopoeic Press

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2013

      1.     Women in the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien
      edited by Janet Brennan Croft and Leslie Donovan

      The place of women in Tolkien’s world is a perennially troublesome topic. On the surface, Tolkien’s major works seem to ignore women or place them on unattainable pedestals, and popular criticism of Tolkien often focuses on this issue. But a closer look can be quite revealing; the deeper one delves into the legendarium and other works, the more prevalent, complex, and powerful the female characters turn out to be. Additionally, male characters often exhibit and are valued for what might be seen as feminine characteristics, and characters who balance feminine and masculine traits are held up as ideals. This collection will bring together several classic essays on Tolkien’s portrayal of women and the feminine with new takes on the topic.

      Projected publication date: Spring 2014
      Deadline for abstracts: May 30, 2013
      Deadline for finished papers: September 1, 2013

      2. Baptism of Fire: The Birth of Modern British Fantasy in World War I
      edited by Janet Brennan Croft

      In Great Britain, the post-World War I years saw a flowering of fantasy written by authors who had lived through its horrors. Tom Shippey observed in Tolkien: Author of the Century that the originators of what we would consider the “late twentieth-century fantastic mode” were in many cases “traumatized authors” who had survived combat and other experiences of the war. Janet Croft, in War and the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien, notes psychiatrist W.H.R. Rivers’s observations that his Great War patients processed their experiences through both dreams and writing. This essay collection will examine the fantasy fiction, poetry, and potentially art of authors affected in one way or another by the Great War and its lasting legacy.

      Some authors we may consider are: J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Charles Williams, E.R. Eddison, Kenneth Grahame, A.A. Milne, Sylvia Townsend Warner, Mervyn Peake, James Stephens, David Jones, G.K. Chesterton, Rudyard Kipling; see http://www.firstworldwar.com/poetsandprose/index.htm for more possibilities.

      Projected publication date: Fall 2014
      Deadline for abstracts: September 1, 2013
      Deadline for finished papers: April 1, 2014

      Please contact Janet Croft at Mythlore@...!

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Associate Professor
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 106NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

      http://libraries.ou.edu/

      “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.