question in what munths do the events in lotr and the hobbett take place?

  • Mich
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13 6:46 AM
      Hi all. I just was wondering in what months of the year  do the events in lotr and the hobbit take place? I just was sitting eating breakfast and thinking of this. I once knew some one who talked about reading lotr at different months of the year coinciding with the different parts of the quest. from Mich.
    • Tony Zbaraschuk
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13 7:47 AM
        On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 09:46:27AM -0400, Mich wrote:
        > Hi all. I just was wondering in what months of the year do the
        > events in lotr and the hobbit take place?

        There's a full date list in Appendix B for LOTR, but briefly the main
        tale starts in autumn, goes through winter to spring, with the hobbits
        returning home the next fall.

        _The Hobbit_ is not quite so clear with dates, but it looks as if
        Bilbo leaves with the Dwarves in springtime, crosses the Misty
        Mountains in summer, and reaches Erebor in fall.

        > I just was sitting eating breakfast and thinking of this. I once
        > knew some one who talked about reading lotr at different months of
        > the year coinciding with the different parts of the quest. from Mich.

        I'd have some trouble with that -- would want to keep reading,
        rather than stop and wait a month at various parts o the tale.

        Tony Z

        --
        There is a reason most German philosophy scholarship consists of
        trying to parse what German philosophers actually meant.
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 14 11:53 AM
          Briefly: Frodo & companions leave Bag End on September 22, and reach Rivendell just under a month later (Frodo awakens on Oct 24). The Fellowship departs Rivendell on Dec 25 and arrive in Lorien in the evening of January 15. They stay a month and leave Lorien on February 16, the battle of the Pelennor and Frodo's escape from captivity happen on March 15th, and Barad-dur falls on March 25. These are all dates according to the Shire-reckoning, but the span of equinox to Christmas/solstice to Lady Day/equinox/Julian New Year was not an accident.

          The Hobbit begins at the end of April, Thorin & Co are in Rivendell at midsummer, they reach Lake-town on Bilbo's birthday (Sept 22), and the death of Smaug and the Battle of Five Armies occur *probably* in mid- to late November (Tolkien's pretty vague on this, and doesn't seem to allow enough time for Bilbo and Gandalf to reach Beorn's hall by Christmas).