Re: [mythsoc] Recent Vinywar Tengwar publications

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5 9:45 AM
      Glad to see that you have something for us language muggles (has that for a mixed metaphor).  I'll definitely be purchasing vol. 4.

      Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 5:35 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Recent Vinywar Tengwar publications

      With the recent publication of Vinyar Tengwar 50, I am pleased to announce that volume 5 of "The Collected Vinyar Tengwar", containing VT 41-50, is now available (in both perfect- and coil-bound versions) through the VT Web Shop at: http://www.elvish.org/VT/shop.html

      More general Tolkien fans and non-linguist scholars may be interested in the newly-published vol. 4 of the Special Series of the Collected Vinyar Tengwar. This volume collects several essays by Tolkien that, while philological in origin, nonetheless extend to cover aspects of the metaphysical nature and natural history of Middle-earth, including telepathy, conscience, and the geography of Gondor:

      http://www.lulu.com/shop/the-elvish-linguistic-fellowship/the-collected-vinyar-tengwar-ss-4/paperback/product-20723911.html

      The more linguistically-minded may also be interested in SS 3, collecting the three-part presentation of Tolkien late essay of "Eldarin Hands, Fingers and Numerals", which while quite technical in the main, nonetheless touches on more general matters, such as Elvish ambidexterity and an Elvish finger-family game. It also contains a presentation of five late Quenya inscriptions by Tolkien, including well-wishes for a wedding and on the occasion of the birth of a child.

      http://www.lulu.com/shop/the-elvish-linguistic-fellowship/the-collected-vinyar-tengwar-ss-3/paperback/product-20723891.html

      Vinyar Tengwar (ISSN 1054-7606) is a not-for-profit refereed journal of the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship, a Special Interest Group of the Mythopoeic Society. VT is devoted to the scholarly study of the invented languages of J.R.R. Tolkien, and is indexed by the Modern Language Association.

      Carl F. Hostetter,
      Editor, Vinyar Tengwar

      No virus found in this message.