RE: [mythsoc] Postcard about new Lewis biography

  • Kathleen Lamantia
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
      Yes, I received the post card, and I too wondered why.

      My guess was that it is because I purchase back copies of VII from The Wade Center.  Thus they have my name and address and most likely deduced that anyone who is buying such copies might be interested in this author and this talk.

      And re the new book by McGrath.  I just received my copy yesterday and have only dipped in, so these comments may have no validity - one, the paper is cheap, and, more importantly, he seems to have concentrated on the negative.  I emphasize that this is only a fleeting, ephemeral impression from 15 minutes dipping into the end of the book.

      Kathy

      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      From: WendellWag@...
      Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:21:17 -0500
      Subject: [mythsoc] Postcard about new Lewis biography

      Did anybody else get the following postcard?  It's an oversize postcard, professionally  and slickly printed, which announces a talk and signing by Alistair McGrath, with a picture of him and the book (C. S. Lewis - Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet).  I assumed that it was for some place local to me that was announcing a signing very soon.  Then I noticed that it was for March 20th and it's at Wheaton College in Illinois.  Did they get my name from the Mythopoeic Society mailing list?  If not, how did they know to send it to me?  It seems to me that they've spent a lot of money in mailing cost to get very few attendees.  I see that he's also about the publish a second book about Lewis called The Intellectual World of C. S. Lewis.  Has anyone here read these and do they have any comments?