Postcard about new Lewis biography

  • wendell_wagner
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
      Did anybody else get the following postcard?  It's an oversize postcard, professionally  and slickly printed, which announces a talk and signing by Alistair McGrath, with a picture of him and the book (C. S. Lewis - Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet).  I assumed that it was for some place local to me that was announcing a signing very soon.  Then I noticed that it was for March 20th and it's at Wheaton College in Illinois.  Did they get my name from the Mythopoeic Society mailing list?  If not, how did they know to send it to me?  It seems to me that they've spent a lot of money in mailing cost to get very few attendees.  I see that he's also about the publish a second book about Lewis called The Intellectual World of C. S. Lewis.  Has anyone here read these and do they have any comments?

      Wendell Wagner
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
        A review of McGrath's new book is currently underway for Mythprint. I did not get this postcard, so I doubt that the recipients came from the Mythopoeic Society.

        Jason

        Did anybody else get the following postcard?  It's an oversize postcard, professionally  and slickly printed, which announces a talk and signing by Alistair McGrath, with a picture of him and the book (C. S. Lewis - Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet).  I assumed that it was for some place local to me that was announcing a signing very soon.  Then I noticed that it was for March 20th and it's at Wheaton College in Illinois.  Did they get my name from the Mythopoeic Society mailing list?  If not, how did they know to send it to me?  It seems to me that they've spent a lot of money in mailing cost to get very few attendees.  I see that he's also about the publish a second book about Lewis called The Intellectual World of C. S. Lewis.  Has anyone here read these and do they have any comments?

        Wendell Wagner

      • not_thou
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
          I got the postcard. Since it came from Wheaton, I figured it was because I was on the mailing list for SEVEN. I haven't read McGrath's books.

          -Merlin

          --- WendellWag@... wrote:

          > Did anybody else get the following postcard? It's an
          > oversize postcard, professionally and slickly printed,
          > which announces a talk and signing by Alistair McGrath,
          > with a picture of him and the book (C. S. Lewis - Life:
          > Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet). I assumed that it
          > was for some place local to me that was announcing a
          > signing very soon. Then I noticed that it was for March
          > 20th and it's at Wheaton College in Illinois. Did they
          > get my name from the Mythopoeic Society mailing list? If
          > not, how did they know to send it to me? It seems to me
          > that they've spent a lot of money in mailing cost to get
          > very few attendees. I see that he's also about to
          > publish a second book about Lewis called The Intellectual
          > World of C. S. Lewis. Has anyone here read these and do
          > they have any comments?
          >
          > Wendell Wagner
        • Kathleen Lamantia
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
            Yes, I received the post card, and I too wondered why.

            My guess was that it is because I purchase back copies of VII from The Wade Center.  Thus they have my name and address and most likely deduced that anyone who is buying such copies might be interested in this author and this talk.

            And re the new book by McGrath.  I just received my copy yesterday and have only dipped in, so these comments may have no validity - one, the paper is cheap, and, more importantly, he seems to have concentrated on the negative.  I emphasize that this is only a fleeting, ephemeral impression from 15 minutes dipping into the end of the book.

            Kathy

            To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
            From: WendellWag@...
            Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:21:17 -0500