Re: [mythsoc] Green and Growing: Mythcon 44 Call for Papers

  • Edith Crowe
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
      Dear Andrew,

      Not sure what happened there, but I'll forward your proposal to Leslie via divers means I have at my disposal. Since there are two Papers Coordinators this year, I'm copying this reply to her.

      Sent from my iPad

      Edith Crowe

      On Feb 17, 2013, at 3:15 PM, Andrew Higgins <asthiggins@...> wrote:

      Dr Donovan

      Today I attempted to send you a paper proposal for the conference but for some reason it was directed to the Edith Crowe email?  Tonight when I tried to send to your email below it was rejected.

      So I am including my original email here with the attached paper proposal in the hope you will receive this (and if you received the other way - apologies!)

      Really looking forward to the conference - taking a week of during our busy opera Festival to come over from the UK - looking forward to meeting losts of people on this list.

      All the best,

      Andy

      My original email was:

      Dr. Donovan

      Attached please find for your review a paper proposal for the upcoming Mythcon 44 Conference Green and Growing. I am currently a postgraduate research student at Cardiff Metropolitan University working on a Phd called 'The Genesis of Tolkien's Mythology.' My Phd adviser is Dr Dimitra Fimi. I will be developing this paper from my current research on Tolkien's earliest languages and mythology. I will plan to attend the entire conference (flying over from UK) and happy to sit on any panels around Tolkien and language as well.

      With best wishes
      Andy Higgins

      On Feb 17, 2013, at 10:54 PM, drldonovan <ldonovan@...> wrote:

      Call for Papers: Mythopoeic Society Conference
      44
      Green and Growing: The Land and its Inhabitants in
      Fantasy Literature
      Kellogg Conference Center, Michigan
      State University
      East Lansing, MI • July 12-15,
      2013

      http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon/44/http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon\
      /44/

      Author Guest of Honor: Franny
      Billingsley
      Franny Billingsley is the author of
      children's and young adult fantasy novels The Folk Keeper
      (winner of the 2000 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's
      Literature), Well Wished, and
      Chime.

      Scholar Guest of Honor:
      Douglas A. Anderson
      Douglas A. Anderson, is an independent
      scholar and author and editor on the subjects of fantasy and medieval
      literature, specializing in textual analysis of the works of J. R. R.
      Tolkien. He won the 1990 Award for Inklings Studies for The
      Annotated Hobbit,
      and his work with Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R.
      Tolkien: A Descriptive Bibliography
      won the Award for Inklings
      Studies in 1994.

      How does mythopoeic
      literature address the relationship between the land and its
      inhabitants, between the wild and the cultivated? What are their
      respective moral values, their dangers and delights? Tangled forests,
      majestic trees, ordered fields, carefully tended gardens; or untamed,
      wild beauty: each offers a different kind of bounty to those who would
      live off the land. What role do advocates and protectors of the land
      play in fantasy literature, particularly as personified in characters
      such as Yavanna, Radagast, Sam Gamgee and, of course, Tom
      Bombadil.

      Our theme also voices many a
      cautionary tale-- Tolkien's Dead Marshes, the scouring of the Shire, the
      desolations of Smaug, Saruman and Sauron, the unnatural winter in
      Narnia-- inviting eco-critical approaches to mythopoeic literature. From
      the whimsical wild places of Baum, Seuss and Sendak; to the mysterious
      and often tutelary landscapes of Orwell, Garner and Burroughs-- not to
      mention those of our favorite Inklings-- we invite papers on any aspect
      of the green and growing land in mythopoeic
      writing.

      Papers and panels dealing with the
      conference themes (or other themes sparked in your brain by this topic)
      are encouraged. As always, we especially welcome proposals for papers
      and panels focusing on the work and interests of the Inklings
      (especially J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, and Charles Williams), of our
      Guests of Honor, and of other fantasy authors and themes. Papers and
      panels from a variety of critical perspectives and disciplines are
      welcome.

      Individual papers will be scheduled
      for one hour to allow time for questions, but should be timed for oral
      presentation in 40 minutes maximum. Two presenters who wish to present
      shorter, related papers may also share a one-hour slot, in which case
      please indicate this on your proposal. Panels will be scheduled for
      1.5-hour time slots and normally will include 3-5 presenters who will
      speak briefly on the subject (usually 10 minutes or less), leaving
      substantial time for discussion with the
      audience.

      Paper and panel proposals (250 word
      maximum), along with contact information, should be sent to the
      appropriate Papers or Panels Coordinator at the following email
      addresses by 30 April 2013. AV and technology requests must be included
      in your proposal.

      Papers
      Coordinator
      Dr. Leslie A. Donovan
      Associate
      Professor, University of New
      Mexico

      ldonovan@...

      Panels
      Coordinator
      Dr. Judith J. Kollman
      Professor
      Emerita, University of Michigan-
      Flint

      jkollman@...

      Participan\
      ts are encouraged to submit papers chosen for presentation at the
      conference to Mythlore, the refereed journal of the Mythopoeic Society
      (

      http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlorehttp://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore</\
      a> ). All papers should conform to the MLA Style Manual. Graduate and
      undergraduate students are especially encouraged to submit proposals and
      to apply for the Alexei Kondratiev Award for Best Student Paper (see http://www.mythsoc.org/awards/student-paperhttp://www.mythsoc.or\
      g/awards/student-paper
      ). For deadlines and applications for this
      award, contact the Papers Coordinator. Scholars needing financial
      assistance to attend Mythcon may apply for the Mythopoeic Society's
      Glen GoodKnight Memorial Scholarships (formerly called the Starving
      Scholars Fund). Scholars may request the application form for these
      awards from the Papers Coordinator.

      <Mythconn 44 Proposal .doc>