Query: Late change to the Lord of the Rings

  • IcelofAngeln
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2013
      For everyone, esp. those who have been through JRRT's papers-

      Can anyone come up with the reason for Tolkien, well after completing the book (i.e. while working on the Appendices) inserting an extra day into the Company's journey from Nimrodel through Lorien? As written, and until a very late stage, they reached Cerin Amroth and Caras Galadon the day immediately after the night spent in the flet; by a late amendment Tolkien inserted the night spent sleeping in the woods of the Naith: "Then they rested and slept without fear upon the ground... In the morning they went on again"*

      I can't for the life of me come up with a reason deriving either from time-synchronization with other characters (not too much of an issue before Tol Brandir anyway), nor the moon-phases, since the Lorien stay was a flexible "expansion joint" in the timeline so long as the Company went in and came out on the right days; this remained the case even after JRRT had decided, some years earlier, that time really did continue to pass in the outside world.

      -----
      *A ghost of the earlier timeline remained uncorrected, where Aragorn says in Caras Galadon, "Tonight I shall sleep without fear for the first time since I left Rivendell."