Re: Tolkien as a gateway drug

  • JOSEPH
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 6, 2013
      And how did I forget d'Aulaire's Greek Myths and Norse Gods & Giants? And also (and I just had to Google this one up) The Big Joke Game by Scott Corbett? And probably some of Andre Norton's colored magic books.

      As far as SF, I came to that early also -- I obsessively read John Christopher's Tripods trilogy, and Dad had a bunch of Heinlein juveniles.

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "shawnareppert" wrote:

      > OK, here's a question for the group to get some discussion going:
      >
      > If Tolkien was for you, as it was for me, your first step into fantasy literature addiction, what was your next step down the path?
      >
      > For myself, it was Robin Hood by Paul Creswick. Not strictly fantasy, but it had the same feel, the same elevated language, milieu, heroism and concern for honor.
      >
      > Anyone else?
      >
      > --Shawna Reppert
      >
      > author of The Stolen Luck, coming soon from Carina Press
      >
      > www.ShawnaReppert.com

    • shawnareppert
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 7, 2013
        Love all the discussion, especially love seeing my old 'friends' mentioned. Ursula LeGuin, Robin McKinley, Ray Bradbury (Something Wicked This Way Comes, oh, yes.) Patricia McPhillip just keeps getting better and better.

        Surprised no one else mentioned one of my later, twenty-plus year addiction: Charles de Lint. His writing totally rocks my world. Had the privilege to workshop with him, and can report he is also a wonderful gentleman and a superb teacher.