Re: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien as a gateway drug

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 6, 2013
      I remember them being rip-offs of Narnia especially, even more than Tolkien or Donaldson, and White even admitted this in one of the later books. A bunch of kids in Winnipeg, Canada find an old TV set in an attic, turn it on and see another world, which they are all presently sucked into. Sounds a bit like a cross between the Wardrobe and the painting in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Still, when I read them as a child, I enjoyed the Anthropos books. They didn't stick with me much, except for a few names (King Kardia, Inkleth, etc.) and some of the fine illustrations. I seem to remember one with a giant threatening chicken.

      Nice to know somebody else out there read these too! :)

      Jase

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 6, 2013

        Just because I haven't seen anybody mention them yet, I'll throw in that one of the series I've enjoyed the most after Tolkien drew me into fantasy is the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

        ~Chris B.

        On Feb 5, 2013 5:02 AM, "shawnareppert" <evenstar@...> wrote:

        OK, here's a question for the group to get some discussion going:

        If Tolkien was for you, as it was for me, your first step into fantasy literature addiction, what was your next step down the path?

        For myself, it was Robin Hood by Paul Creswick. Not strictly fantasy, but it had the same feel, the same elevated language, milieu, heroism and concern for honor.

        Anyone else?

        --Shawna Reppert

        author of The Stolen Luck, coming soon from Carina Press

        www.ShawnaReppert.com

      • JOSEPH
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 6, 2013
          And how did I forget d'Aulaire's Greek Myths and Norse Gods & Giants? And also (and I just had to Google this one up) The Big Joke Game by Scott Corbett? And probably some of Andre Norton's colored magic books.

          As far as SF, I came to that early also -- I obsessively read John Christopher's Tripods trilogy, and Dad had a bunch of Heinlein juveniles.

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "shawnareppert" wrote:

          > OK, here's a question for the group to get some discussion going:
          >
          > If Tolkien was for you, as it was for me, your first step into fantasy literature addiction, what was your next step down the path?
          >
          > For myself, it was Robin Hood by Paul Creswick. Not strictly fantasy, but it had the same feel, the same elevated language, milieu, heroism and concern for honor.
          >
          > Anyone else?
          >
          > --Shawna Reppert
          >
          > author of The Stolen Luck, coming soon from Carina Press
          >
          > www.ShawnaReppert.com

        • shawnareppert
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 7, 2013
            Love all the discussion, especially love seeing my old 'friends' mentioned. Ursula LeGuin, Robin McKinley, Ray Bradbury (Something Wicked This Way Comes, oh, yes.) Patricia McPhillip just keeps getting better and better.

            Surprised no one else mentioned one of my later, twenty-plus year addiction: Charles de Lint. His writing totally rocks my world. Had the privilege to workshop with him, and can report he is also a wonderful gentleman and a superb teacher.