Re: [mythsoc] Bilbo's Home

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2013
      Clearly Kristine Larsen in not a member of this list….

      We know that the Shire is in the Northern Hemisphere both because a) Tolkien says so, and b) the constellations mentioned as visible from the Shire and environs — Ursa Major ("Sickle of the Valar"), the Pleiades (Remmirath), Orion (Menelvagor), Cassiopeia (Wilwarin) — are all northern ones.

      Carl

      On Jan 28, 2013, at 11:01 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:

      How do you even know that he lives in the Northern Hemisphere?  Only in the Northern Hemisphere does the south side of the hill take advantage of facing the sun.

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 1/28/2013 10:59:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, gerryblair68@... writes:

      Hello to All
      I wonder if any one can help me with a question. Was Bilbo's home on the south facing side of the hill? Did he take advantage of solar gain to heat? Just something I have often wondered.
      Thanks
      Gerry