Re: a quick question

  • IcelofAngeln
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John Rateliff wrote:

      > Thanks all. I'd assumed 'KW' was right, given the line in Tolkien's prefatory note to THE HOBBIT: "There was no rune for Q (use CW)" --THE ANNOTATED HOBBIT, p. [27]. But then I cd easily have been wrong. It's nice to get confirmation, and to find such unanimity in the response. Again, many thanks!

      However, in the context of TH Tolkien was referring to the Anglo-Saxon runes used in that book, not the Cirth. A-S indeed had no "Q," although the sound existed and was written as "CW."
    • David Giraudeau
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
        Note also that, interestingly,  Tolkien sometimes used very different ways to spell /kw/, such as (PE12:ix-x) :

        The inside back cover of the notebook contains an array of unglossed words and phrases. Their purpose seems to be to explore certain variant spelling conventions, such as q vs. cw vs. cu.
        [...]
        Other words on the page include: Qildaracte; cwilda, cuilda, cuela, cuelume, quelume, qelume, cwelume; cwandi, cwanwi; Cvildare, Cwildare; Cvottar, Cwottar; Carquila, Carqila; Saquila, Saqila; sinqi, sinqui, sincui, sincvi, sincwi; sinco, sincwi, sincor; tiastáva tiulusse; tuilindo, tuile, tyulusse; Twile, Tuile; Tyastava; and Ciule. Some forms later scribbled out include cuiule, cuyule, Cwile. Cialma, and Qiule.

        See also minkwe 'eleven' (VT48:7)  or tolokwe 'eighteen'' (VT48:21)

        Cordially,

        David