Re: [mythsoc] a quick question

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
      It's pronounced like KWEN-YAH. See the "Qenyaqetsa" in Parma Eldalamberon 12, p. 15, where the table of consonants makes it clear that q = kw.

      Best,
      Jason

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
        it's KWEN-YAH
         it sounds like it would have a q in it. so it is KWEN-YAH
         hth. from Mich.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
          John

          Hello.  I was in Oxford this weekend doing a marathon of archival work at the Bod Library for my Phd and thought of our wonderful lunch at the Lamb and the Flag with Dimitra.

          I believe it is KWEN-YAH - I have always followed the Consonant Guide on Page 15 of Parma 12 where the voiceless explosive is q-kw.  Although I have heard Verlyn Flieger who am watching right now talk about On Fairy-stories on our Mythgard Class pronounce it as Kenya - but I use the KW.

          Sorry to not be coming to Valpariso - your talk on how The Hobbit influenced The Silmarillion sounds really intriguing and hope to read it some day!

          Best, Andy

          On Jan 28, 2013, at 11:50 PM, John Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

          Here's a quick question for the linguistically inclined.
          How is the name of the original form of Tolkien's earliest Elven language, QENYA, pronounced?
          Is it KEN-YAH or is it KWEN-YAH?
          I've always assumed the latter, but decided it's better to ask the experts.
          Elucidation much appreciated.
          --John R.

        • Patrick Wynne

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
              Thanks all. I'd assumed 'KW' was right, given the line in Tolkien's prefatory note to THE HOBBIT: "There was no rune for Q (use CW)" --THE ANNOTATED HOBBIT, p. [27]. But then I cd easily have been wrong. It's nice to get confirmation, and to find such unanimity in the response. Again, many thanks!

              --John R.

              On Jan 28, 2013, at 3:50 PM, John Rateliff wrote:
              > Here's a quick question for the linguistically inclined.
              > How is the name of the original form of Tolkien's earliest Elven language, QENYA, pronounced?
              > Is it KEN-YAH or is it KWEN-YAH?
              > I've always assumed the latter, but decided it's better to ask the experts.
              > Elucidation much appreciated.
              > --John R.
            • Jason Fisher
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
                Well, actually, John, just to pick nits, I'm not sure Tolkien meant the same thing in the prefatory note to The Hobbit. There, I think what he actually meant was to use CW *in place of QU*, because there is no Q. He was addressing young people after all, and talking about using runes to write English, and the authentic ones, not his invented ones. Splitting hairs, I suppose, but I don't think this prefatory note would have been a very solid argument re: the pronunciation of Qenya. :)

                Best,
                Jase

                Thanks all. I'd assumed 'KW' was right, given the line in Tolkien's prefatory note to THE HOBBIT: "There was no rune for Q (use CW)" --THE ANNOTATED HOBBIT, p. [27]. But then I cd easily have been wrong. It's nice to get confirmation, and to find such unanimity in the response. Again, many thanks!

                --John R.

                On Jan 28, 2013, at 3:50 PM, John Rateliff wrote:
                > Here's a quick question for the linguistically inclined.
                > How is the name of the original form of Tolkien's earliest Elven language, QENYA, pronounced?
                > Is it KEN-YAH or is it KWEN-YAH?
                > I've always assumed the latter, but decided it's better to ask the experts.
                > Elucidation much appreciated.
                > --John R.

              • IcelofAngeln
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John Rateliff wrote:

                  > Thanks all. I'd assumed 'KW' was right, given the line in Tolkien's prefatory note to THE HOBBIT: "There was no rune for Q (use CW)" --THE ANNOTATED HOBBIT, p. [27]. But then I cd easily have been wrong. It's nice to get confirmation, and to find such unanimity in the response. Again, many thanks!

                  However, in the context of TH Tolkien was referring to the Anglo-Saxon runes used in that book, not the Cirth. A-S indeed had no "Q," although the sound existed and was written as "CW."
                • David Giraudeau
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
                    Note also that, interestingly,  Tolkien sometimes used very different ways to spell /kw/, such as (PE12:ix-x) :

                    The inside back cover of the notebook contains an array of unglossed words and phrases. Their purpose seems to be to explore certain variant spelling conventions, such as q vs. cw vs. cu.
                    [...]
                    Other words on the page include: Qildaracte; cwilda, cuilda, cuela, cuelume, quelume, qelume, cwelume; cwandi, cwanwi; Cvildare, Cwildare; Cvottar, Cwottar; Carquila, Carqila; Saquila, Saqila; sinqi, sinqui, sincui, sincvi, sincwi; sinco, sincwi, sincor; tiastáva tiulusse; tuilindo, tuile, tyulusse; Twile, Tuile; Tyastava; and Ciule. Some forms later scribbled out include cuiule, cuyule, Cwile. Cialma, and Qiule.

                    See also minkwe 'eleven' (VT48:7)  or tolokwe 'eighteen'' (VT48:21)

                    Cordially,

                    David