RE: [mythsoc] Bilbo's Home

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013

      And here are a few supporting bits from the text:

      From The Hobbit:

      The best rooms were all on the left-hand side (going in), for these were the only ones to have windows, deep-set round windows looking over his garden and meadows beyond, sloping down to the river.

      From Fellowship, ch. 1:

           Inside Bag End, Bilbo and Gandalf were sitting at the open window  of a small room looking out west on to the garden.  The late afternoon was bright and   peaceful.

      From ch.2:

           Next morning after a late breakfast, the  wizard was sitting with Frodo by the open  window of the  study. A bright fire was on the hearth,  but the sun was warm, and  the  wind was in the  South.

      After a  while  Gandalf got up, closed  the shutters outside the window,  and drew  the  curtains.  The room became dark and silent, though the  clack of Sam's shears, now nearer to the windows,  could  still be heard  faintly from the garden.

      He  went to the  window and drew aside the curtains  and the  shutters. Sunlight  streamed  back again into  the  room.

      From ch.3:

      Frodo wandered round the familiar rooms,  and saw the light  of the sunset fade on the walls,  and  shadows  creep out  of  the  corners.  It  grew slowly dark indoors.

           'Well, now we're off at last!'  said Frodo. They shouldered their packs and took up their sticks, and  walked round the corner to the  west  side of Bag End. 'Good-bye!' said Frodo, looking at the dark blank windows.

      Between the text, map, and pictures, it sounds like the front door faces south, and the rooms with windows follow the curve of the hill, facing south and then west.

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Associate Professor
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 106NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

      http://libraries.ou.edu/
      Editor of Mythlore
      http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

      “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
        Thanks to everyone for the response to my question. I guess it only seems right that a well-to-do Hobbit would live on the sunny south side of the hill.
        Gerry
      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2013
          Clearly Kristine Larsen in not a member of this list….

          We know that the Shire is in the Northern Hemisphere both because a) Tolkien says so, and b) the constellations mentioned as visible from the Shire and environs — Ursa Major ("Sickle of the Valar"), the Pleiades (Remmirath), Orion (Menelvagor), Cassiopeia (Wilwarin) — are all northern ones.

          Carl

          On Jan 28, 2013, at 11:01 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:

          How do you even know that he lives in the Northern Hemisphere?  Only in the Northern Hemisphere does the south side of the hill take advantage of facing the sun.

          Wendell Wagner

          In a message dated 1/28/2013 10:59:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, gerryblair68@... writes:

          Hello to All
          I wonder if any one can help me with a question. Was Bilbo's home on the south facing side of the hill? Did he take advantage of solar gain to heat? Just something I have often wondered.
          Thanks
          Gerry