Bilbo's Home

  • Gerry Blair
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
      Hello to All
      I wonder if any one can help me with a question. Was Bilbo's home on the south facing side of the hill? Did he take advantage of solar gain to heat? Just something I have often wondered.
      Thanks
      Gerry
    • wendell_wagner

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
          Good question, I guess we can only go with Tolkien's implying the shire is in England.
          Gerry

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
            Gerry, looking at the maps, they seem to imply that Bag End faces
            southward. It never occured to me to question that.

            > Good question, I guess we can only go with Tolkien's implying the shire is
            > in England.Gerry

          • John Rateliff
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
              Yes, we know it's northern hemisphere from the Prologue to LotR: "the regions in which Hobbits then lived were doubtless the same as those in which they still linger: the North-West of the Old World, east of the Sea".
                 --JDR

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
                On Mon, January 28, 2013 10:09 am, John Rateliff wrote:
                > Yes, we know it's northern hemisphere from the Prologue to LotR: "the
                > regions in which Hobbits then lived were doubtless the same as those in
                > which they still linger: the North-West of the Old World, east of the
                > Sea".

                Also the various maps showing cold areas like the Ice Bay of Forochel
                to the north and warmer areas like Harad and Gondor to the south.

                Tony Z
              • Jason Fisher
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
                  > [Gerry Blair wrote:]
                  > I wonder if any one can help me with a question.
                  > Was Bilbo's home on the south facing side of the hill?

                  style="font-size: 12pt;"> Did he take advantage of solar  gain to heat? Just
                  > something I have often wondered.

                  Yes, I think so. Looking at Tolkien's map of the Shire, the road through Hobbiton up to Bag End seems to run more or less perpendicular to The Water, with The Water running east/west, the road running more or less north/south (actually, a bit more like northeast/southwest, but it winds back to the west going up The Hill). In any case, the map shows that The Hill is pretty much due north of Hobbiton. The map agrees closely with Tolkien's painting, "The Hill: Hobbiton-across-the-Water", so using the two together, the map reveals that we are looking north in the painting. You can see Bilbo's door near the top of The Hill, facing toward Hobbiton, i.e., facing south. :)

                  Best,
                  Jason
                • Croft, Janet B.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013

                    And here are a few supporting bits from the text:

                    From The Hobbit:

                    The best rooms were all on the left-hand side (going in), for these were the only ones to have windows, deep-set round windows looking over his garden and meadows beyond, sloping down to the river.

                    From Fellowship, ch. 1:

                         Inside Bag End, Bilbo and Gandalf were sitting at the open window  of a small room looking out west on to the garden.  The late afternoon was bright and   peaceful.

                    From ch.2:

                         Next morning after a late breakfast, the  wizard was sitting with Frodo by the open  window of the  study. A bright fire was on the hearth,  but the sun was warm, and  the  wind was in the  South.

                    After a  while  Gandalf got up, closed  the shutters outside the window,  and drew  the  curtains.  The room became dark and silent, though the  clack of Sam's shears, now nearer to the windows,  could  still be heard  faintly from the garden.

                    He  went to the  window and drew aside the curtains  and the  shutters. Sunlight  streamed  back again into  the  room.

                    From ch.3:

                    Frodo wandered round the familiar rooms,  and saw the light  of the sunset fade on the walls,  and  shadows  creep out  of  the  corners.  It  grew slowly dark indoors.

                         'Well, now we're off at last!'  said Frodo. They shouldered their packs and took up their sticks, and  walked round the corner to the  west  side of Bag End. 'Good-bye!' said Frodo, looking at the dark blank windows.

                    Between the text, map, and pictures, it sounds like the front door faces south, and the rooms with windows follow the curve of the hill, facing south and then west.

                    Janet Brennan Croft

                    Associate Professor
                    Head of Access Services
                    University of Oklahoma Libraries
                    Bizzell 106NW
                    Norman OK 73019
                    405-325-1918
                    Fax 405-325-7618
                    jbcroft@...
                    http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

                    http://libraries.ou.edu/
                    Editor of Mythlore
                    http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

                    “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
                      Thanks to everyone for the response to my question. I guess it only seems right that a well-to-do Hobbit would live on the sunny south side of the hill.
                      Gerry
                    • Carl F. Hostetter