Re: [mythsoc] "Song of the Misty Mountains" with ALL the verses

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
      rjandersonwriter <rjawriter@...> wrote:

      >If, like me, you found the dwarves' song in the Jackson HOBBIT rather lovely but wished there were more of it (unlike, say, that interminable action scene with the Rock Giants or the ridiculous battle with the goblin hordes, but I digress), singer Peter Hollens has done an acapella arrangement of the entire song, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEwzFF4HeB8&feature=youtu.be
      >
      >One might argue that it sounds like the dwarves are being accompanied by a choir of elf singers in parts, which seems a little unlikely in context, but I'm not going to quibble. In fact, I think I'm going to buy the single from iTunes to go with the other three versions I already own...

      Thanks. That was very good, and the version with violin that he points to at the end of the video was even better.

      I don't generally consider Shore a very inspired composer, but this setting pleased me, and its use as a recurring theme was the best thing in the Hobbit movie. If not for the overused and overegged underscoring, I'd say that he had done well here.
    • not_thou
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 26, 2013
        Thanks! I just got around to listening to these. Both versions are quite nice, but neither includes "all the verses".

        In Peter Hollens's a cappella version, he sings just two of the ten stanzas of "Far over the misty mountains cold" from the book's first chapter: the first (but with the last line replaced by a variant on the last line of the fifth stanza) and the seventh. To these he adds (A) the first and third stazas (of six) of "The wind was on the withered heath" from the book's seventh chapter, and (B) the first stanza of "Farewell we call to hearth and hall" from the fifth chapter of THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING.

        I think that this rearrangement of verses actually is sung in the movie, during the closing credits.

        In the version with Jun Sung Ahn on violin, Hollens sings just three stanzas, skipping those from "The wind was on the withered heath".

        I always thought the dwarves had more musical imagination than to use the same melody for "Far over the misty mountains cold" and "The Wind was on the withered heath", but as regards "Farewell we call to hearth and hall", Tolkien does say that it "was made on the model of the dwarf-song that started Bilbo on his advenure long ago".

        -Merlin

        ---"rjandersonwriter" wrote:
        > If, like me, you found the dwarves' song in
        > the Jackson HOBBIT rather lovely but wished
        > there were more of it (unlike, say, that
        > interminable action scene with the Rock
        > Giants or the ridiculous battle with the
        > goblin hordes, but I digress), singer Peter
        > Hollens has done an acapella arrangement of
        > the entire song, here:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEwzFF4HeB8
        >
        > One might argue that it sounds like the dwarves
        > are being accompanied by a choir of elf singers
        > in parts, which seems a little unlikely in
        > context, but I'm not going to quibble. In fact,
        > I think I'm going to buy the single from iTunes
        > to go with the other three versions I already own...
        > --
        > Rebecca
      • R.J. Anderson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
          Fair point! I admit that as many times as I've read THE HOBBIT, I haven't got any of the songs memorized and didn't double-check the book before posting, so I obviously jumped to a mistaken conclusion here.

          Still, I like the arrangement and am glad that somebody tried to include more verses in the song, even if they did so by cherry-picking. :)
          --
          Rebecca
          (who should probably stick to talking about Narnia from now on, except nobody here seems to be particularly interested in discussing it at present)