Re: [mythsoc] Sojourners article on Tolkien

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
      Good call, Janet!

      Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:44 PM
      Subject: RE: [mythsoc] Sojourners article on Tolkien

      I thought I recognized some of the titles, though I didn’t have them in my master bibliography. A quick Google confirmed my guess.

      Janet

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
        I did write a piece for CHRISTIAN HISTORY a while ago dealing with the onset of JRRT’s popularity in the USA.

        This could be it.

        This new book, however, is news to me.

        Cheers,
        Mike

        Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:37 PM

        http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Christian_History_78

        Janet Brennan Croft

        Associate Professor
        Head of Access Services
        University of Oklahoma Libraries
        Bizzell 106NW
        Norman OK 73019
        405-325-1918
        Fax 405-325-7618
        jbcroft@...
        http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

        http://libraries.ou.edu/
        Editor of Mythlore
        http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

        Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

        Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
          Yes.  That’s the 2003 article I did.

          Thanks, Janet.

          Looking forward to reading the reviews.  Winking smile

          Mike

          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:42 PM

          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:35 PM

          http://sojo.net/magazine/2013/01/gandalf-gollum-and-death-penalty

          Also discovered that CHRISTIANITY TODAY has a piece on CSL's MERE CHRISTIANITY in the December 2012 issue ("Why MERE CHRISTIANITY Should Have Bombed") by John G. Stackhouse (pages 38-41).

          http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012/december/why-mere-christianity-should-have-bombed.html

          Hadn't realized that CHRISTIANITY TODAY has put together their own e-book about Tolkien (and one about Lewis as well);

          http://www.ctebooks.com/ct/tolkien?utm_source=ctmag-article-&utm_medium=nav_2-300x250&utm_term=C.S.Lewis,Divorce,J.R.R.Tolkien,Marriage,Books,PoliticsandCurrentAffairs&utm_content=7656&utm_campaign=tolkien

          --has anyone read either so as to be able to give a recommendation/non-recommend? The Tolkien one is by an array of well-known authors (including Shippey); the CSL one doesn't list contributors.

          --John R.

          No virus found in this message.

          No virus found in this message.

        • Jo Foster
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
            The link that Janet posted to Christian History 78 indicates that Christianity Today International is the publisher of Christian History.   Still, publishing a book is not that same as publishing an issue of a journal.

            Jo

            Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

            Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM