Re: [mythsoc] Sojourners article on Tolkien

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
      I agree, but it likely would require purchasing the book to look into it, and I balk at giving any money to anyone doing something that appears to be unethical. But I can't imagine that Mike won't be looking into one way or another!

      Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:24 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Sojourners article on Tolkien

      It may have been retitled when it was repurposed. I would be flabbergasted if any of these essays were total fabrications. In any case, somebody needs to look into this.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013

        This book looks like it’s mostly a reprint of articles from their special Tolkien issue in 2003, republished now to capitalize on the Hobbit film:

        http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Christian_History_78

        Janet Brennan Croft

        Associate Professor
        Head of Access Services
        University of Oklahoma Libraries
        Bizzell 106NW
        Norman OK 73019
        405-325-1918
        Fax 405-325-7618
        jbcroft@...
        http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

        http://libraries.ou.edu/
        Editor of Mythlore
        http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

        “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

        Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

        Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
          It certainly looks like it! Good call, Janet. :)

          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013

            I thought I recognized some of the titles, though I didn’t have them in my master bibliography. A quick Google confirmed my guess.

            Janet

            Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

            Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
              Good call, Janet!

              Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:44 PM

              Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

              Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
                I did write a piece for CHRISTIAN HISTORY a while ago dealing with the onset of JRRT’s popularity in the USA.

                This could be it.

                This new book, however, is news to me.

                Cheers,
                Mike

                Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
                  Yes.  That’s the 2003 article I did.

                  Thanks, Janet.

                  Looking forward to reading the reviews.  Winking smile

                  Mike

                  Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:42 PM

                  Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                  Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
                    The link that Janet posted to Christian History 78 indicates that Christianity Today International is the publisher of Christian History.   Still, publishing a book is not that same as publishing an issue of a journal.

                    Jo

                    Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                    Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM