Re: [mythsoc] Sojourners article on Tolkien

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
      Jason, I remember that, too.  But if I am understanding Mike correctly, it sounds like he doesn't recognize the essay attributed to him at all.  Is that right, Mike?

      Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Sojourners article on Tolkien

      This is starting to remind me of those Tolkien collections from Chelsea House, "edited" by Harold Bloom, where the essays were reprinted without permission and even without notice. It was pretty outrageous. I know a couple of the authors who ended up learning of this after the fact and successfully insisting on royalties.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
        It may have been retitled when it was repurposed. I would be flabbergasted if any of these essays were total fabrications. In any case, somebody needs to look into this.

        Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

        Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
          I agree, but it likely would require purchasing the book to look into it, and I balk at giving any money to anyone doing something that appears to be unethical. But I can't imagine that Mike won't be looking into one way or another!

          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:24 AM

          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013

            This book looks like it’s mostly a reprint of articles from their special Tolkien issue in 2003, republished now to capitalize on the Hobbit film:

            http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Christian_History_78

            Janet Brennan Croft

            Associate Professor
            Head of Access Services
            University of Oklahoma Libraries
            Bizzell 106NW
            Norman OK 73019
            405-325-1918
            Fax 405-325-7618
            jbcroft@...
            http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

            http://libraries.ou.edu/
            Editor of Mythlore
            http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

            “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

            Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

            Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
              It certainly looks like it! Good call, Janet. :)

              Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

              Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013

                I thought I recognized some of the titles, though I didn’t have them in my master bibliography. A quick Google confirmed my guess.

                Janet

                Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
                  Good call, Janet!

                  Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:44 PM

                  Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                  Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
                    I did write a piece for CHRISTIAN HISTORY a while ago dealing with the onset of JRRT’s popularity in the USA.

                    This could be it.

                    This new book, however, is news to me.

                    Cheers,
                    Mike

                    Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                    Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
                      Yes.  That’s the 2003 article I did.

                      Thanks, Janet.

                      Looking forward to reading the reviews.  Winking smile

                      Mike

                      Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:42 PM

                      Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                      Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
                        The link that Janet posted to Christian History 78 indicates that Christianity Today International is the publisher of Christian History.   Still, publishing a book is not that same as publishing an issue of a journal.

                        Jo

                        Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                        Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM