Re: [mythsoc] Sojourners article on Tolkien

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
      Ooh, the plot thickens!  I wonder whether these essays are pilched from other sources, or made up  altogether?  Neither would be very "Christian" actions, would they?

      Doug

      Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Sojourners article on Tolkien

      Hello,
          Hey.  Unless there is another Michael Foster JRRT scholar, I am listed as a contributor in CT.  This is news to me.

      Mike

      Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:35 PM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Sojourners article on Tolkien

      Came across a piece on JRRT in an unusual place, SOJOURNERS magazine. It's in the current (January 2013) issue, the one with Ian McKellan's Gandalf on the cover. Here's a link:

      Also discovered that CHRISTIANITY TODAY has a piece on CSL's MERE CHRISTIANITY in the December 2012 issue ("Why MERE CHRISTIANITY Should Have Bombed") by John G. Stackhouse (pages 38-41).

      Hadn't realized that CHRISTIANITY TODAY has put together their own e-book about Tolkien (and one about Lewis as well);

      --has anyone read either so as to be able to give a recommendation/non-recommend? The Tolkien one is by an array of well-known authors (including Shippey); the CSL one doesn't list contributors.

      --John R.

      No virus found in this message.

    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
        This is starting to remind me of those Tolkien collections from Chelsea House, "edited" by Harold Bloom, where the essays were reprinted without permission and even without notice. It was pretty outrageous. I know a couple of the authors who ended up learning of this after the fact and successfully insisting on royalties.

        Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

        Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:35 PM

        http://sojo.net/magazine/2013/01/gandalf-gollum-and-death-penalty

        Also discovered that CHRISTIANITY TODAY has a piece on CSL's MERE CHRISTIANITY in the December 2012 issue ("Why MERE CHRISTIANITY Should Have Bombed") by John G. Stackhouse (pages 38-41).

        http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012/december/why-mere-christianity-should-have-bombed.html

        Hadn't realized that CHRISTIANITY TODAY has put together their own e-book about Tolkien (and one about Lewis as well);

        http://www.ctebooks.com/ct/tolkien?utm_source=ctmag-article-&utm_medium=nav_2-300x250&utm_term=C.S.Lewis,Divorce,J.R.R.Tolkien,Marriage,Books,PoliticsandCurrentAffairs&utm_content=7656&utm_campaign=tolkien

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
          Jason, I remember that, too.  But if I am understanding Mike correctly, it sounds like he doesn't recognize the essay attributed to him at all.  Is that right, Mike?

          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
            It may have been retitled when it was repurposed. I would be flabbergasted if any of these essays were total fabrications. In any case, somebody needs to look into this.

            Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

            Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
              I agree, but it likely would require purchasing the book to look into it, and I balk at giving any money to anyone doing something that appears to be unethical. But I can't imagine that Mike won't be looking into one way or another!

              Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:24 AM

              Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

              Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013

                This book looks like it’s mostly a reprint of articles from their special Tolkien issue in 2003, republished now to capitalize on the Hobbit film:

                http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Christian_History_78

                Janet Brennan Croft

                Associate Professor
                Head of Access Services
                University of Oklahoma Libraries
                Bizzell 106NW
                Norman OK 73019
                405-325-1918
                Fax 405-325-7618
                jbcroft@...
                http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

                http://libraries.ou.edu/
                Editor of Mythlore
                http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

                “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

                Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
                  It certainly looks like it! Good call, Janet. :)

                  Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                  Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013

                    I thought I recognized some of the titles, though I didn’t have them in my master bibliography. A quick Google confirmed my guess.

                    Janet

                    Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                    Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
                      Good call, Janet!

                      Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:44 PM

                      Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                      Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
                        I did write a piece for CHRISTIAN HISTORY a while ago dealing with the onset of JRRT’s popularity in the USA.

                        This could be it.

                        This new book, however, is news to me.

                        Cheers,
                        Mike

                        Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                        Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
                          Yes.  That’s the 2003 article I did.

                          Thanks, Janet.

                          Looking forward to reading the reviews.  Winking smile

                          Mike

                          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:42 PM

                          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013
                            The link that Janet posted to Christian History 78 indicates that Christianity Today International is the publisher of Christian History.   Still, publishing a book is not that same as publishing an issue of a journal.

                            Jo

                            Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:10 AM

                            Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:57 AM