Re: [mythsoc] Fw: "The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion & Guide: Chronology: 1"

  • SherryT
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 15, 2013
      Wayne, that was remarkably quick and succinct.

      Far too late, may I offer the following Google links? I have no idea if they will prove helpful.

      (BTW, I did not like Donald Swann's piano accompaniment. It never sounded proper for the Shire. I suspect the hobbits of Hobbiton would have found the sound quite a culture shock, even if played at the Green Dragon.

      Search Results

      1. NationMaster - Encyclopedia: The Hobbit (1968 radio series)

        www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/The-Hobbit-(1968-radio-series)
        The Hobbit is a 1968 BBC Radio adaptation of J. R. R. Tolkien's 1937 children's fantasy novel The Hobbit. 1968 (MCMLXVIII) was a leap year starting on Monday (the link is to a full 1968 ..... Bilbos Last Song is a poem by J. R. R. Tolkien.
      2. Bilbo's Last Song, Revised | GeekDad | Wired.com

        www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/11/bilbos-last-song-revised/

        Matt Forbeck
        by Matt Forbeck - in 852 Google+ circles - More by Matt Forbeck
        Nov 15, 2012 – It was never included in the text of Tolkien's saga, though. His secretary Joy Hill discovered it in his library in 1968, and he gave it to her as a gift ...

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 15, 2013

        does any one know on this topic of the road go's ever on the Donald swan song scikle if this has ever been put out on cd? and where one might obtain a copy? from Mich.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 15, 2013
          The Wade Collection includes a letter from JRRT recalling the delightful time that he and Edith had at the reception and performance of the Swann cucle.

          Mike

          Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:13 AM

          Ah, that's great - thanks very much.

          John

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 15, 2013
            Since all of you are asking for some tunes related to Tolkien I just add my voice to ask if someone can help me to find this less serious music found in Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings ->
            By Leonard Rosenmann " the man in the moon" sung by Frodo
            My 11 years old girl is fond of this almost lullaby for her in her early evenings.

            Anglin
            (I promess my next post will be more serious)
          • John Rateliff
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 15, 2013
              On Jan 15, 2013, at 6:24 AM, Mich wrote:
              does any one know on this topic of the road go's ever on the Donald swan song scikle if this has ever been put out on cd? and where one might obtain a copy? from Mich.

              I have it on record (vinyl) and cassette, but not cds.
                 --John R.

            • Troels Forchhammer
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 15, 2013
                I have a CD of the songs that came with my copy of the book (the 2002 edition).

                Looking at the prices on Amazon suggests that the book is now out of print and being sold at an insane price second-hand.

                /Troels

                --
                    Love while you've got
                        love to give.
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 15, 2013
                  I too have this CD, which came with the book. It's wonderful (and mine's not for sale).
                  (long lurking) Sara Ciborski

                  On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Troels Forchhammer <troelsfo@...> wrote:

[...]

                  603-313-2625
                  655 Gilsum Mine Road
                  Alstead, NH 03602
                • John Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 16, 2013

                    On Jan 15, 2013, at 2:06 PM, Troels Forchhammer wrote:
                    I have a CD of the songs that came with my copy of the book (the 2002 edition).
                    Looking at the prices on Amazon suggests that the book is now out of print and being sold at an insane price second-hand.
                    /Troels

                    Thanks for that, Troeis. I have a copy of the third edition, which does indeed come with this cd (stuck in the back), which I had completely forgotten about. So I dug it out and listened to it for the first time today.
                       I'm sorry to say Wm Elvin's singing is no better than I remembered. Somehow I can't suspend my disbelief that Sam found a piano in Cirith Ungol to accompany himself for "In Western Lands". Though still the Treebeard song remains my favorite.
                       The second edition of the book had added "Bilbo'd Last Song" to the eight in the original; the cd in this third edition includes a recording of this song by Swann himself, whose vocals I much prefer to Elvin's. It has a spoken-word intro by Swann wh. makes me regret all the more that he wasn't able to perform the song-cycle at the 1992 Centennial Conference.
                       There's also a new, tenth, song on the cd: "Luthien Tinuviel", from THE SILMARILLION, sung by Clive McCombie (in the same unfortunately style of Elvin).

                    On Jan 15, 2013, at 8:23 AM, stephane_grignon wrote:
                    Since all of you are asking for some tunes related to Tolkien I just add my voice to ask if someone can help me to find this less serious music found in Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings ->
                    By Leonard Rosenmann " the man in the moon" sung by Frodo
                    My 11 years old girl is fond of this almost lullaby for her in her early evenings.

                    Don't know the answer to that one: it's not on the soundtrack cd, which is all-instrumental.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 16, 2013
                      "John Rateliff" <sacnoth@...> wrote:

                      >I'm sorry to say Wm Elvin's singing is no better than I remembered.

                      Tolkien liked his name, but he's not a very good singer: stiff and
                      inexpressive. Every other performance of the cycle I've heard (all live; I
                      don't know of any other recordings) I've liked better.

                      >Somehow I can't suspend my disbelief that Sam found a piano in Cirith Ungol
                      >to accompany himself for "In Western Lands".

                      Swann has gotten a lot of unjustified criticism for this. Except for
                      "Namarie", for which he used Tolkien's own melody, Swann's songs shouldn't
                      be thought of as the "actual" music of the secondary world, but as Swann's
                      own artistic responses to Tolkien's poetry, in the manner of art songs by
                      the likes of Schubert on down.
                    • John Davis
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                        Peter Jackson has gotten a lost of unjustified criticism...Except for occasional moments where he used Tolkien's own words, Jackson's films shouldn't be thought of as the 'actual' representation of the secondary world, but as Jackson's own artistic responses to Tolkien's books.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                          A joke with added typo, sadly. Sigh. lost=lot. Obviously.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                            John Davis wrote:

                            >Peter Jackson has gotten a lost of unjustified
                            >criticism...Except for occasional moments where he used Tolkien's own
                            >words,
                            >Jackson's films shouldn't be thought of as the 'actual' representation of
                            >the
                            >secondary world, but as Jackson's own artistic responses to Tolkien's
                            >books.
                            >
                            >Disclaimer: that was a joke. A joke, I tell
                            >you. Insert smiley faces and multiple exclamation marks if necessary. It
                            >absolutely wasn't intended to rekindle the tired old debate.

                            If it wasn't meant to do so, you shouldn't have said it.

                            There's one big difference above all. Swann's musical setting is just one
                            among many. It's not being widely touted as the incarnation of every
                            Tolkien fan's dream to hear his poetry set to music, acclaimed as
                            rejuvenating a tired old book, etc etc.

                            If Jackson's movie were just one of a dozen or more dramatic interpretations
                            of Tolkien out in the marketplace, and none of them got any particular
                            hoopla, I'd be delighted to offer my own particular opinion of its merits
                            (which I do not consider to be zero), listen to others' opinions, and leave
                            it at that, which is what we do with the Tolkien music. And also what we do
                            with Tolkien fan fiction and movies: "The Hunt for Gollum" four years ago
                            got a certain amount of abuse, but even those who liked it didn't try to
                            defend it with the rapture that Jackson's defenders brought to it.

                            I would be DELIGHTED if Jackson fans treated his work as an entirely
                            separate work of art whose only connection to Tolkien's was that Jackson was
                            artistically inspired by him. And, indeed, scholarly articles on Jackson
                            that make no reference to Tolkien, or that compare the two the way they'd
                            compare Tolkien to any other similar author, are making their appearance.

                            The only objections that I'm making, and that I have made all along, are to
                            the claim that Jackson's movies do fairly incarnate the book, and to the
                            contradictory (but sometimes made by the same people) claim that if they
                            don't, they were forced not to by commercial considerations. See my article
                            in "Tolkien on Film" nearly a decade ago, which has those as its two
                            headings. If I don't personally like the movies very much, I have
                            absolutely no objection to other people liking them more.
                          • Doug Kane
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                              John, I thought it was funny (and I read lot for lost).

                              Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:12 AM

                              A joke with added typo, sadly. Sigh. lost=lot. Obviously.

                              Peter Jackson has gotten a lost of unjustified criticism...Except for occasional moments where he used Tolkien's own words, Jackson's films shouldn't be thought of as the 'actual' representation of the secondary world, but as Jackson's own artistic responses to Tolkien's books.

                              >I'm sorry to say Wm Elvin's singing is no better than I remembered.

                              Tolkien liked his name, but he's not a very good singer: stiff and
                              inexpressive. Every other performance of the cycle I've heard (all live; I
                              don't know of any other recordings) I've liked better.

                              >Somehow I can't suspend my disbelief that Sam found a piano in Cirith Ungol
                              >to accompany himself for "In Western Lands".

                              Swann has gotten a lot of unjustified criticism for this. Except for
                              "Namarie", for which he used Tolkien's own melody, Swann's songs shouldn't
                              be thought of as the "actual" music of the secondary world, but as Swann's
                              own artistic responses to Tolkien's poetry, in the manner of art songs by
                              the likes of Schubert on down.

                              No virus found in this message.