Re: [mythsoc] Reading Queue and Potential Nominees

  • Lisa Padol
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
      > The only one of these I've read is Chrysanthe, which had some brilliant moments, but I ended up feeling was complex for the sake of complexity rather
      > than because it added anything to the story. I left it feeling like it might be too cerebral for me, and that someone else might have really gotten it, but I
      > couldn't be sure of that, and my assessment that the writing style actually obscured the story might be accurate. At any rate, it was far too circuitous
      > for me to have gotten any real enjoyment -- or enrichment -- out of.

      > I'd actually like to hear from others who have read it to see if my reaction to it is shared, or if someone else found it amazing and couldn't put it down.

      I didn't think it was overly complex, let alone complex for the sake of complexity. I had no problem following what was going on. I found it bleak, though myhopoeic. I was very much ready for the much lighter, if not at all mythopoeic, Lord Vorpatril's Alliance afterwards.

      >Saladin Ahmen: Throne of the Crescent Moon

      Good, solid book, but I'm not sure if it's for the list. I shan't be surprised if someone else nominates it, though.

      >Mary Gentle: The Black Opera

      On the surface, it's got the right elements to be mythopoeic, and it was a fun read. Doesn't make the cut for me, but again, I won't be surprised if someone else nominates it.

      >Yves Meynard: Chrysanthe

      Unless I have five other things crowding it out, I will nominate this one. I need to check my list -- I had a lot of eligible titles.

      >Patricia McKillip: Wonders of the Invisible World
      >Mary Robinette Kowal; The Glamour in Glass

      These two I have not yet read. There's also Seanan McGuire's Velveteen Versus novel, but Josh tells me this is likely a wait-until-series-is-complete case.

      -Lisa